Buying a MacBook on ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tekhna, Jan 10, 2007.

1. tekhna macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
  2. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

May 31, 2006
    Not really a deal....use edu discount or get a refurb from will get the same price if not lower and none of the sleezy-ness of E-bay
  3. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Not even 100 feedbacks and already he received a neg?

I wouldn't buy from such a seller.

Edit: Looking further into his past feedback, he received 2 negatives as a buyer, and his only previous sale so far resulted in a neutral feedback. I'd walk... nay... RUN... away from such a seller.
  4. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

May 31, 2006
    seller has only one other sale under his/her was a neutral experience:

s/he wrote:

"security settings on machine were locked on arrival, seller non-responsive"
  5. tekhna thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007

Meh, buying from Apple=tax and student discount canceling each other out.
    As for that seller, yeah, he is sketch, but it was just an example.
  6. Fender macrumors regular

May 9, 2004
    Toronto, CANADA
    I'd suggest that if you're going to buy one off eBay, you do so with a local seller. You can always pickup (eliminating any shipping charge), and pay cash if you so desire.

I've bought every Mac I've owned from Craigslist or eBay and have had no problems when dealing locally (or atleast in same province/state). Two of the Macs (my original PowerBook & my current iMac) were brand new, factory sealed, and were/have been great.
  7. yodermk macrumors member

May 13, 2006
    You have to use common sense. I think there are some good deals on eBay. I bought a used Powerbook that way a year ago. Might have paid a little too much but overall not bad. I would do it again.

What amazes me is that there are quite a few new 17" C2D MBPs there in the $2400-$2500 price range. How do people do that? (And these are sellers with feedback in the +99% range.)

Oddest thing I've seen there was the original 17" MBP, pretty much immediately after the announcement in April, before anyone had received theirs -- listed as *used*. Explanation was that her company was able to get some a month before the announcement. In a moment of stupidity, I bid on it. My buddy then told me in no uncertain terms it must be a scam. However, someone else won and positive feedback was left on the auction. Go figure ...