Buying a mini advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DarkNetworks, Aug 7, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm buying an iPod mini, and this Apple Store has this offer where it has two versions of the iPod mini, one is the new version and one is the old version, both 4G.I'm planning to get the new version, and i'm paying a little bit extra (the normal price), cos the old version they wanna clear them off so it's cheaper.The question here is, is there any way to identify if the iPod is a new version or the old one?i obviously don't trust this guys cos early this year i bought an iBook G4 and this shop sold me last years iBook G4 (the old model) with the iLife which doesn't have Garageband and stuff.It only has iPhoto and iMovie 2.So is there any way to identify the difference between the two iPods?the new and old version.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, the boxes are different to start with, the new ones are a single colour representing the colour of the iPod contained within. If they are not in a box, well, don't buy them.

Not to be mean, but didn't you check the specs on the box of the iBook you bought?

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If the box says 18 hours battery life, then you have a new one. Otherwise, it's the old one.

And none of the iPod minis are "4G."

4. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

No...when i bought it, i don't know a single thing about Mac...Yeah i know it sounds dumb but yeah i've no idea about Macs before i've got my iBook.

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

New iPod Mini's:

- Box is smaller, and is in the colour of the iPod inside.
    - Blue, Pink and Green are much more intense shades than first iPod Mini.
    - Symbols on the click wheel (play, FF, RW etc...) are same colour as iPod.
    - It will say 4gb or 6gb on the back.
    - Metal has a slightly rougher texture to it.
    - It will come with a USB cable, no firewire cable or mains adapter.

6. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Thankz a lot.

7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

This is an actual "Apple Store?"

If it was, I would've returned the iBook and demanded an exchange for a current model.

Also, see if they'll let you open the box before you buy to make sure it's a current model iPod mini.

8. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm not sure, but it sells only Apple products and it seems to be one of Apple's Retailer or something.
    Yeah i will deffinately check it this time, or i'll ask my sister who's going overseas to get it for me.And btw, if i purchase it in an Apple Store, can i do any laser engraving? Or it only can be done if i purchase it online?

9. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Just online, although if it's an Applestore they might be able to order you one. All they'd be doing is ordering through the internet anyway, as the laser engraving is done at the factory.