Buying a Moniter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by insomniac321123, Nov 27, 2006.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

I am looking for a 20" LCD moniter for around $250. It will be for my MBP. What should i look at? I have heard about response time, 8-bit vs. 6-bit, etc. What exactly should I look for? Or does anyone have a moniter that would work for these conditions> Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

Check out the Samsung 205BW, a 20.1" widescreen. Don't know how much it costs in the UK, but im pretty sure its around 350 pounds, if not less. As for response time, smaller is better, this one has 6ms which is mooooore than sufficient, tft technology has increased dramatically pushing prices down and anything around 16ms is more than enough for the regular home user.

I prefer samsung monitors, but there's plenty of fish in the sea:
    Asus MW201U (2ms response time)
    BenQ FP202W (cheapest)
    LG Electronics L204WT-SF (most for the money)

These are all 20.1" widescreen TFT monitors.

I know this because I'm trying to make up my mind for which one I should buy. I'm sorry I can't give you any details about resolution, you should probably check on that before you buy.

3. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the difference between the Samsung 205BW and the Samsung 204BW? They seem the same to me, but I might have missed something. The 205 is $1 more on newegg, but it doesnt come with free shipping, the 204 does. Is the extra $15 worth it?

4. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

204BW - Price on www.newegg.com $287.99 Free Shipping
    Display Colors 16.2 Million
    Power Consumption 75 watts (max.)
    Adjustable Stand - Tilt Adjustments

205BW - Price on www.newegg.com $289.99 Free Shipping
    Display Colors 16.7 Million
    Power Consumption 55 Watts (Max.)
    Adjustable Stand - Height & Tilt Adjustments

from http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=427759

I would go for the 205 probably saves you money in the long run and you get more for your money, even if the difference is not really noticable