Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I am buying a new car in the very near future (by year end). Through test driving many models and styles it has come down to two for me right now:
1. 2012 VW Jetta TDI
2. 2013 Mazda 3 Grand Touring

Both get great gas milage, are pretty well loaded with features and in the end when all is said is done, pretty close in price.

Looking to see if anyone has any experience with either of these models now or in the past and what you thought about it! Any push in either direction would help because I am torn.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Did you try the Chevy Cruze or the Dodge Dart?

I drove a rental Jetta and it was not a very comfortable seat, same for the Mazda 3.
What do you say is great gas mileage?

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Looking to see if anyone has any experience with either of these models now or in the past and what you thought about it!

Sorry, no, but I know a guy with a diesel Jetta, and you could not kill it with a gun.

Any push in either direction would help because I am torn.

If you are looking at this as a short-term purchase, before moving on up, you might go with the Mazda, but as intimated above the TDI will probably give you longer service.

The answer as to where they are both made might be of some help?

I assumed he was down to these two, otherwise I would have suggested KIA's Reo or Forté.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

I drove a rental Jetta and it was not a very comfortable seat, same for the Mazda 3.
What do you say is great gas mileage?

Not interested in the Cruze, and didn't drive the dart.

I agree the entry cloth seats aren't comfortable in the Mazda, but the leather in the grand touring and the leatherette in the TDI were both very comfortable to me.

The TDI I have seen averages around 40, and the Mazda 3 can get 35 average.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I believe the Jetta's that are sold here in the US are made in Puebla Mexico.

The Cruze is impressive for the fuel economy and how comfortable it is inside, one of the radio entertainment system works great with the iPhone even natively manages Pandora.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Sorry, no, but I know a guy with a diesel Jetta, and you could not kill it with a gun.

If you are looking at this as a short-term purchase, before moving on up, you might go with the Mazda, but as intimated above the TDI will probably give you longer service.

The answer as to where they are both made might be of some help?

Maybe.. but..

Consumer Reports 2012 Reliability ratings, from best to worst:

Scion, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Subaru, Honda, Acura, Audi, Infiniti, Kia, Cadillac, GMC, Nissan, Mercedes, Chevy, BMW, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Jeep, Volvo, Buick, Mini, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Ford, Jaguar.

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...s-reliabity-rankings-20121029,0,1647183.story

I bolded the brands mentioned so far in this thread.

So, other than the 3 Toyota brands, Mazda was the most reliable. Volkswagen was in the bottom half. If you are really set between those two cars, get the Mazda.

But go look at the new Subaru Impreza and also the Honda Civic. They also get great gas mileage as you want, and the top models of both cars come with leather and fully loaded with all the features (power everything, sun roof, ipod integration, bluetooth, etc) and will most likely be much more reliable than the VW.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
But go look at the new Subaru Impreza and also the Honda Civic. They also get great gas mileage as you want, and the top models of both cars come with leather and fully loaded with all the features (power everything, sun roof, ipod integration, bluetooth, etc) and will most likely be much more reliable than the VW.

I went to our local Subaru dealer because the Impreza was on the list and they had 0 on the lot to look at so that doesn't help the search. The Civic is due for a redesign within the month so I didn't want to look at the current models with new ones coming out. So yes those two were on my original list to consider.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I am buying a new car in the very near future (by year end). Through test driving many models and styles it has come down to two for me right now:
1. 2012 VW Jetta TDI
2. 2013 Mazda 3 Grand Touring

Both get great gas milage, are pretty well loaded with features and in the end when all is said is done, pretty close in price.

Looking to see if anyone has any experience with either of these models now or in the past and what you thought about it! Any push in either direction would help because I am torn.

I'm driving a Mazda3 myself. Love it. Fun to drive and great gas mileage. I also drove a Jetta. If it makes any difference for you, last I checked mazda still uses timing chains whereas the Jetta uses a belt.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm leaning a little (very much so) towards the 3 just because of the reliability being better with Mazda, but still haven't been convinced in either direction reading up on both.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Just been in a fairly loaded Cx9 and it was really nice. If the Mazda 3 touring is anything like that, which I'm assuming it is, I'd get that.

Hard choice though, the Jettas are awesome too.

VW concerns me a bit though. My friend's 97' Passat is falling apart. Roof liner hanging, one door doesn't open at all, none of the windows work, door arm rests broken off on all doors, A/C died, etc. Very disappointing for a car only from '97.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I went to our local Subaru dealer because the Impreza was on the list and they had 0 on the lot to look at so that doesn't help the search. The Civic is due for a redesign within the month so I didn't want to look at the current models with new ones coming out. So yes those two were on my original list to consider.

I test drove one last spring before I bought the car I have now (09 Legacy). The fact that they had 0 on the lot just shows how quick they have been selling, the dealer I went to said they couldn't keep them in stock.

Their AWD system is awesome and makes it really great to drive. If there's any other dealers near you it probably is worth checking out.

The Mazda is a really nice car too though.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

The Civic isn't getting a redesign. The redesign was for the 2012 MY. It's just Honda responding to critics in that the 2012 Civic didn't change enough from the old model( which I agree with). So Honda is giving it a design tweak.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Have you consider another VW, like the Golf? I have a couple of friends that have it and love it. I also believe they are made in Germany or SA instead of Mexico for now.

As for me if I had to choose between the Jetta or the Mazda 3 I would go w/ the Jetta, but remember some people consider the Jetta a soft, maybe more feminine car.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Another Mazda3 driver here - love my car. Can't really add much to the Jetta side because I've never owned one, but I've been a Mazda3 owner for two years so if you have an specific questions, I can try to answer them!

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Maybe.. but..

Consumer Reports 2012 Reliability ratings, from best to worst:

Scion, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Subaru, Honda, Acura, Audi, Infiniti, Kia, Cadillac, GMC, Nissan, Mercedes, Chevy, BMW, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Jeep, Volvo, Buick, Mini, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Ford, Jaguar.

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...s-reliabity-rankings-20121029,0,1647183.story

I bolded the brands mentioned so far in this thread.

So, other than the 3 Toyota brands, Mazda was the most reliable. Volkswagen was in the bottom half. If you are really set between those two cars, get the Mazda.

Meh, reliability ratings don't mean much with a bumper to bumper warranty that comes standard with newer vehicles. You have to deal with the inconvenience IF something goes wrong, but that's about it. Also it's worthwhile I note how those studies are done and the metrics used.

If you're going to be buying a 2012/13 vehicle just get the one that is more comfortable. Ideally if you're spending a lot of money on a car (not sure the price on these two but I assume its midrange) than it better be something you're spending a lot of time in and getting a lot of use out of.

Personally, I'd get an Accord.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Just been in a fairly loaded Cx9 and it was really nice. If the Mazda 3 touring is anything like that, which I'm assuming it is, I'd get that.

Hard choice though, the Jettas are awesome too.

VW concerns me a bit though. My friend's 97' Passat is falling apart. Roof liner hanging, one door doesn't open at all, none of the windows work, door arm rests broken off on all doors, A/C died, etc. Very disappointing for a car only from '97.

My seats started tearing apart and my headliner started falling in my Jetta. Made the car smell like crayons.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
But go look at the new Subaru Impreza ...
All Subarus are all wheel drive. What the dealer won't tell you is that if you take a nail in a tire that's too close to the edge, you not only have to replace that tire, but the other three as well. If you're willing to do that, then go ahead and get AWD. The logic of accepting that escapes me, so that's why I won't be going with an AWD vehicle, ever.

Personally, I'd get an Accord.
You'd be jumping up a class in size, and therefore in price as well. I disagree that reliability ratings don't mean much if you're comparing one at the top and one at the bottom. But, if they're close, other factors would come into play. Perhaps the most important factor to consider is performance in crash tests.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Wow, thank you all very much for your input! Not sure I have been swayed in one direction or the other lol, but I appreciate everyone's opinion.

I think it will still come down to the two I am at now. Not really interested in a civic, the Impreza is off the list now, and the accord is too big of a car for me right now.

I agree though that buying any '12/'13 is going to be reliable and if anything was to happen it would be under warranty for at least the first couple of years. Both were very comfortable and fun to drive and had a good stereo and iPhone hookup, which was very important to me.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
All Subarus are all wheel drive.

The BRZ is RWD actually ;)

What the dealer won't tell you is that if you take a nail in a tire that's too close to the edge, you not only have to replace that tire, but the other three as well. If you're willing to do that, then go ahead and get AWD. The logic of accepting that escapes me, so that's why I won't be going with an AWD vehicle, ever.

I'll take my chances. The amazing handling is worth the trade-off. Any number of things could go wrong with any car. I could buy a 2WD car and hit a slick spot and spin out into a telephone poll... you never know. And Subaru isn't the only brand where you should replace more than one tire when you get a flat, it all depends on how much wear is on the treads. You never want to run tires that have different amounts of tread wear regardless of the brand of car.

Back to the OP: Have you considered a year or two old certified pre-owned? When I was car shopping earlier this year, I test drove and was looking at some new 2012s, but I ended up getting a car that was a little over 2 years old and had about 27,000 miles on it. This car went for over $26,000 new, I got it for $17,500, and you couldn't even tell that it's used. You might be able to get pretty much the same car but save yourself a bunch of money. Worth looking into at least imo.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Back to the OP: Have you considered a year or two old certified pre-owned? When I was car shopping earlier this year, I test drove and was looking at some new 2012s, but I ended up getting a car that was a little over 2 years old and had about 27,000 miles on it. This car went for over $26,000 new, I got it for $17,500, and you couldn't even tell that it's used. You might be able to get pretty much the same car but save yourself a bunch of money. Worth looking into at least imo.

I've thought about it. I know the money I can save by going with a used car, but I have been dumping more and more money into my current car and the idea of a brand new car with new warranties just sounds more appealing to me. I know certified pre-owned will come with its own warranty of some kind, but I think I still want to go news.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
It's simple--go with one of the top 3. Toyota, Lexus or Scion.

VW's are high maintenance and are well known for many electrical problems, especially the one's made it Mexico.

Resale stinks for diesel car--Americans don't want them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.