Buying a new Cell Phone, question -

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac000, Sep 9, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

So say you sign up for a 2 year plan w/ Cingular.

About 1 year passes and you want to buy a new phone, can you sign up for a new 2 years from this day forward and get a new phone under contract price?

Or - Since you have not reached your 2 years yet, you can buy a phone but you have to pay full Retail price, about 2x times than regular?

how does this work?

2. savar macrumors 68000

savar

i dont know the specifics, but short version is: you get screwed*

*that's the general answer for any cell phone company question

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You'll regret going with Cingular after you've had their service for a day and you either have to pay outrageous early termination fees or live with their crappy service for 729 more days.

Anyways, I upgraded phones mid-contract. Except Suckgular doesn't know that and they didn't extend my contract. I just bought an unlocked GSM phone off eBay.

December 23rd couldn't come here soon enough, then it's off to a new company.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The one thing I've learned about cell phones is:

Location, Location, Location!

Each companies service is different in every city. For instance, my best friend has Verizon. He goes to school at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. He is roaming everywhere on campus. Yet, when he comes home to Louisville, he gets full signal strength. I have Cingular, and in the Louisville area, the coverage can't be beat. My dad has a Sprint phone his company gave him. He has no signal in his office, while my Cingular phone has a full signal.

mac000,

When you sign a 2-year Cingular contract, you cannot upgrade the phone for 18 months without penalties, AND you'll have to pay a larger upgrade fee AND full retail price for the new phone you want. If I were you, I'd get a 1-year contract. You have to may a little more for the phone, but it'll save a boat-load of time and money if you have trouble down the road, plus you get to upgrade after only 9 months if you really dislike the phone you got! Also, you're not required to get a new phone when the contract expires. So, If you get a 1-year contract, and you like the phone, you can keep it until whenever you want to upgrade again. That way, you're not stuck with a phone you hate for 18 months.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, well signal is one of my problems with Cingular. The other problem is their billing department, they have screwed up our bill several times and its taken hours on the phone with their incompetent call center reps, and that's not limited to our location