buying a new ipod battery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by QCassidy352, Dec 6, 2003.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

(this is half hardware advice, half buying advice...)

well, i don't know what happened. My 1st gen 5 gig ipod was doing just great, and all of a sudden, the battery seems to be shot. It loses its whole charge after a day or two without use, just like it used to do when running firmware 1.2. 1.3 fixed that, but now I'm at a loss. The ipod is almost 20 months old, so I'm thinking the battery may be gone for real this time.

So my question is two fold:
    1) what should I try in terms of reboots/ reinstalls etc. to restore battery performance?
    2) should that fail, what is the best place to buy a new battery for the ipod? $99 from apple is a rip-off. And I'm not willing to pay $300 for a new 10gig.
    Anyone used this site?
    http://www.pdasmart.com/ipodpartscenter.htm
    Seems like they know what they're talking about regarding ipod battery replacements, but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

2. fillz macrumors newbie

Re: buying a new ipod battery

www.ipodbattery.com

You are welcome :D

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks fillz. I do appreciate it. But do you have any first hand experience with these people? Are the batteries high quality/ long lasting?

that is... do you have any reason to believe this is the best place to go, aside from the fact that they got to the obvious domain name before anyone else?

4. fillz macrumors newbie

Well, both seem to be recommeded by iPod Lounge. I think both are dependable and seem to be the only resources for batteries out there. The Laptops for Less people offer a slightly underpowered 1200mah battery. The Pdasmart offers a 1500Mah, same as the original. The difference in cost is neglible, so in hindsight, I'd go for the one from Pdasmart.

I haven't used either of the services, because I made the "switch" just a few days ago and am waiting for my 12" G4 iBook to arrive and don't have an iPod yet. The only reason i know of this stuff is because I do a heck of a lot of research into products before I purchase them, much like everyone here I guess.

Good luck with your purchase.

5. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks again. It does seem that the PDAsmart might be the way to go, since it's a more powerful battery, and the same as the original. btw, enjoy your new ibook!

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

What ever you do remember that Li-ion Batteries only last for 2-2.5years at best.

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, yes, but 2 more years of life out of my 5 gig ipod for $50 would suit me nicely.