Buying a new Macbook: Black or White?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rovias, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Rovias macrumors member

Well, I purchased a white Macbook for my wife as a Christmas present and it is one beautiful machine. Now I'm in the market for one for myself. I will be purchasing a refurb direct from Apple, and I was wondering whether or not the black one is a good choice. Are the paint chipping stories as horrible as I hear they are? Also, does the black show dust and dirt worse than the white?

Also, how is the glossy screen?

I will be keeping this laptop for quite a while so I'd like one that's going to look good for as long as possible. Feedback is appreciated. :)

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the white machines are nice but the black ones are absolutely stunning. the ones i've seen around (starbucks, etc.) look like they're in good condition and they are just beautiful machines.

i have a glossy MBP and i think the glossy is fine. some people don't like the glare, but i don't notice it unless i'm looking for it (and why would i purposely look for glare?). i think you'll be very happy with a black glossy MB.

3. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

4. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

black in my opinion. i just think it looks killer.

5. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

First, don't bump a thread that's already been created 10000 times before.

Second, do you like black or white? Period. NOBODY else can make that choice for you.

Third, this would be like posting "should I get a white car or a black one" the only person who knows that YOU want, is YOU

6. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

white is so much better than black because the adapter and all the wires it comes with are white.

7. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I guess that means don't buy a macbook pro/ mac pro :rolleyes:

8. mojohojo macrumors regular

i just got black and its just 'sexy'. only thing is that after first day of use, you can see the shiny parts of grease on your touchpad and space bar button. wish i could get it off.:(

9. rjsbass macrumors member

black absorbs/shows off oil really easily, white hides it. the black matte finish will really pick up hand oils n grime. btw its NOT just like picking a white or black car due to the different construction materials. KK THX

10. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

First, if I wanted to buy one solely based on color preference, I would have ordered myself a black one three days ago.

Second, if you actually took the time to read my original post, you'd notice that my question wasn't, "Which looks cooler, black or white?" I was asking SPECIFIC questions about the paint chipping issues on the black Macbook as well as if it showed dust or dirt moreso than the white. I figured someone who owned a black Macbook could actually be HELPFUL and tell me if these issues are anything to worry about.

Third, don't be a jerk. No one died and made you forum police.

11. rjsbass macrumors member

ownt, and again, i went to the apple store and black looks horrible after extended use.

12. jjohnson16 macrumors newbie

I got my Black Macbook back in late September. Here is a rundown of the issues I have had with it:

Built in iSight camera would turn on automatically on start-up and cause programs using iSight to show green screens (fixed with firmware updates and SMU reset).

During shutdown, computer will sometimes not turn off and will begin to overheat. When restarted Panic Kernel is displayed.

Streaks from hand oils on outer cover and on keys (esp. spacebar).

I was able to remove 90% of the streaks with a simple screen cleaner wipe. This includes both the keys and the cover of the Macbook.

All the above being said, I love this computer. The night I got it one of my roommates and I went outside and tested my wireless versus the wireless on his Powerbook G4. My Macbook picked up three times as many wireless signals as his Powerbook (wireless sensors were apparently moved to a better position in the design). I have been able to run all of my applications smoothly (I do want to boost my RAM from 768 MBs to 2 gigs soon however). The battery life on these is quite fantastic. Dimming the screen gives it the obvious boost, but with the Glossy I find that it isn't terrible to dim nearly all the way. Like others have said, the Black is sexy. I have taken a look at some of the white Macbooks and I think they look very nice as well. I will say that the black is a nice change from my iBook G4. In regards to chipping paint I have not seen anything at all.

Hope this helps!

~Jason

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well you may want to get a black one if your wife is getting a white one. just a thought

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I like the black but wished it came in glossy. For the $200 extra, I wouldn't buy it. I'm sticking with the white MB T7200. Using the $200 for accessories.

15. D34th macrumors regular

All the white ones I've seen (my roomate and two best friends, as well as 90% of others on campus) have white ones and the palm rest, spacebar, and most of the keys have turned yellow from use...The black one's I see just get a little discoloration, but they do not turn a different color. And for the person who had all the problems with the black MacBook, mainly all those problems do not have to do with it's color besides the streaks...

16. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

See, this is the kind of helpful, polite answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the advice as well. I think this pretty much seals my deal on a black refurb Macbook, and I'll keep some screen cleaner wipes around just in case. ;)

17. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Jeez, what kind of filthy hands do these people have? :p

I'm always using my MacBook after eating a greasy pizza or sandwich, and I have no discoloration problems. I did have problems on my iBook G3, though, but it seems Apple has gotten better since then. No discoloration issues with either the iBook G4 or MacBook.

18. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I like the glossy finish of the white, but prefer the look of the black.

If it were glossy and not matte, there'd be no question.

If they were the same price, there'd be no question.

Because it's matte and $200 more, there's a tiny question, but I'd still choose black in the end.

The chipping issue has been rare, as far as I can tell, and even the grease thing is more hype than reality. I mean, sure you'd have to treat it a little nicer than the white model to keep the grease off, but I think it's worth the effort in the end.

The white cables thing not only doesn't bother me, I think the contrast between the cables and the notebook itself is cool.

Plus, the white model has its own set of problems.

Bottom line for me is, it's black, so that's the one I'd buy...

19. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Give it some time...

;)

20. mccldwll macrumors 65816

I've posted this before and apoligize if all have already seen it but 303 Protectant (an aerospace/marine industry UV inhibiter, google it) could solve both oil and matte issues. I called the company when the white mb yellowing issue first arose to find out if use on notebooks was a known application. Person I spoke to said had been using for years on his. I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig, but if anyone has access to macbook plastic, please try. It's a big company and I have absolutely no financial interest in it in any way, but I'm a big fan of the product from 10 years of use on non-computer items.

21. rstorm macrumors regular

Black glossy. Black is much easier to keep clean and looks so much better than white!:p

22. somevelvet macrumors member

don't really get why everyone's so kookoo over the black ones--they just look like PC laptops to me!

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Likewise. Practically every Windows laptop I see is black. If a laptop is white or aluminum, you know it's a Mac.

BTW, bumping threads is a violation of the forum rules. The mods have been known to caution members for doing it.

24. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

I apologize; I didn't know this. That's my fault for not reading the rules. It still didn't give the other guy the right to be an a**, however.

And the online Apple Store is also fresh out of black Macbooks now. Guess I'll be waiting a few days.

25. danny_w macrumors 601

Several people here have mentioned the $200 difference. While that was indeed the case with the original Macbook (all other things being equal), the black is now only a $50 premium (assuming that you want and are willing to pay for the 120GB hard drive, which goes for $150 as an option). I don't (yet) own a MB, but if I had bought one of the first design, I definitely would not have bought the black (just because of price). But with the new design, I probably would buy the black, since I would want the larger hdd anyway.