Buying a new MacBook Pro on eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by killianb, Oct 25, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

killianb

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I did do a search and couldn't really find anything to help.

I am in the UK and I'm about to purchase a new MacBook Pro. I've found a shop on eBay with 12,000+ positive feedback and by purchasing from them, I can save over £100 including shipping.

My question is -- if I purchase this on eBay, can I take it back to the Apple Store if anything goes wrong? I know if it's defective-on-arrival I need to go back to the seller, but say, after three weeks I have an issue, will the Apple Store sort it for me?

I've read a lot of people are having trouble with loose battery covers and slated keys, would Apple look at this if my MacBook was bought on eBay or would I be told to go elsewhere?

I believe rules in the US are different on this. Can anyone confirm the UK rules?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 604

mcdj

relax. it's 8pm in the UK. peeps are at the pub. if you need to know so quickly, call Apple.

my guess is you will be fine. just register it as soon as you get it. if there's a problem, you will be in their system and they will take care of it.

3. macrumors regular

killianb

Haha! Good point. I didn't think of that!

I thought about calling Apple but I didn't think they'd be open now, plus I didn't fancy wasting a good 20 minutes on hold.

Plus I was sure someone on here would know!

I think I'll be ok. The one-year worldwide warranty shouldn't let me down!

4. macrumors 6502a

it should be fine. apple doesn't care where you bought it from or who gave it to you.

5. macrumors regular

killianb

What if I was to steal one from someone in Starbucks? Would they repair it for free then?

Only kidding!! Thanks for the info guys!