Buying a new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dancertom3, Jan 12, 2007.

1. dancertom3 macrumors member

This week I'm ordering my first Mac, a MacBook Pro :D :D:D

2.33Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    160Gb HDD
    Glossy screen

Anyone got any tips or recommend any must-haves to go with it?

6 days and it's killing me!!!:eek:

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Is 6 days with standard shipping?

You might want to start off with a few programs, Adium (IM client), Firefox (I find Safari to be a slow browser after awhile), CoconutBattery, VLC (to play videos), Handbrake (burn DVD's to MPEG-4), OmniDiskSweeper.. that's all I can think of at the moment. You can google any one of those and their respective sites should come up.

Oh and, keyboard shortcuts are always useful. :)

3. kristiano macrumors regular

Transmission for torrents and maybe Writeroom if you do a bit of writing.

4. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

An external hard drive for backups
    Carbon Copy Cloner for Backups
    MS Office or NeoOffice
    PhotoShop or GIMP (free alternative)
    Carrying case
    Screen cleaner
    MacSaber (just kidding)

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

See how you like Safari before you go to firefox. I like Safari a lot better than Firefox.
    Some apps that I use:

iSquint (free video to iPod video converter)

Cyberduck (for when I need to connect to FTPs)

Azureus (for torrents)

Handbrake (for ripping DVDs)

VLC (for watching videos)

CoconutBattery (for checking your battery capacity)

SMCfancontrol (so you can control the fan speed for if it gets too hot)

WhatSize (for checking how much hard drive space everything on your hard drive is taking up)

That's all I can think of.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The 120GB is the standard config. Maybe it's taking longer because of the hard drive

7. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Adium, Firefox, Thunderbird, Parallels, Azureus, Toast 8, Photoshop CS3 Beta. You'll be fine :) Have fun!

8. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses!

extraextra, I'll be ordering my MBP in 6 days. But then, because of the custom-built thing, there's 2-4 days shipping, but then probably another 3 days on top of that for delivery, at most. So a week after I'll receive it, hopefully!

Firefox will be the first thing that I download. I'm on Firefox now and like it.

What's so great about VLC? I've downloaded, in advance, Windows Media Player for Mac for all my mpegs. Thinking about it, WMP is not such a great choice. What about DivX? Does anyone use that?

9. Icewind macrumors regular

Icewind

I use it all the time. Just download the DivX codecs for Quicktime and install. I've never had any problems playing any DivX avi (and I watch watch millions of Anime on my Powerbook). I have a 1 Tarrabyte Firewire 800 external drive connected to my iMac in my study where I have my massive Anime collection stored. I can then stream the DivX AVI's from the external HD to my Powerbook and watch them while lying on my sofa with a beer :)

Enjoy your MBP... You luck sod!

P.S. Forgot to say... The first thing I would shell out hard-earned cash for is a carry case or sleeve for your baby. You will probably use that a lot if you're transporting your MBP around. My Powerbook is about 1.5 years old and still looks as good as the day I bought it. I think my neoprene sleeve has help a lot in this respect.

10. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Proud parent of a new MBP 2.16 C2D Matte since 8:30pm last night. Been waiting 4+ years to make the switch! So far so good. No dead pixels, even screen illumination, no signs of grainy screen here. Its a winner!

Please continue to post your "must-have" widgets, apps, new user knowledge/tips, etc.