Buying a new powerbook 17" yikes! help!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nsutt22, May 5, 2005.

1. nsutt22 macrumors regular

May 5, 2005
    I am muy interested in buying the new Powerbook 17" 1.67 model for college. However I am muy scared that they are going to be super dumb and pull a new G5 model before august. Any tips? Should i just go for it or wait it out til August just in case? I am deeply concerned as any one should be ;)
    I wouldnt mind having the G4 but that pansy 1440 by 900 pisses me off. What do ya'll think... go for it or wait til august. I really need it now but i could prly wait!

Dell 15" P4 - model number (P.O.S.)
    Stats -
    ~ Gets really hot
    ~ Gets PMS once a week
    ~ Gives me a fu blue screen once a day
    ~ Hates that i am buying a mac
    ~ Even more pathetic 1028 by 786
  2. buggybear macrumors member

Feb 24, 2005
    I think you should go for it. I plan to buy a 17 also in about two weeks. I doubt that they'll be able to stuff a G5 into a 1 inch thick case anytime soon. Plus, if they do, it'll be a public beta w/too many issues. The G4 powerbook is a solid notebook thats had most of its issues worked out, unlike rev. A G5.
    Hey, you never know. You might have to wait abother year if you want a G5.
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    1440x900 pisses you off? Wow, i think its the perfect resolution for that screen. Plus, in 10.5 or maybe a later revision of 10.4 they are going to introduce scaling down all aspects of an app (reducing the DPI of that app) so you can effectively have more room on that "pansy" resolution.
  4. macdad2 macrumors member

Apr 7, 2005
    I'm not sure anymore
    I'm replying from my new PB 17 and I've got to say I've never been happier spending time with a computer! My 2 cents: get one ASAP -OK , actually - wait for WWDC and then get one. You never know - I don't anticipate any major upgrades to the PB line soon but there is the possibility of a higher screen resolution around the corner - but then what do I know?
  5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    1440x990 is my dream resolution... this machine is virtually perfect, I would go for it. I'm not looking back.
  6. capone2 macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    i have the 1.5 and it is awesome

...i got it for a deal the week the new ones came out. The best decision i ever made.

PB 17" 1.5

It makes the 15 seem too small.