Buying a new Video Card and installation.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RMD68, Feb 2, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

I have a Dual 2.5Ghz PowerMac G5 and I'm in the market for a new Video card. My G5 is from around June 2004 and I have been using the video card that came with it which is a ATI Radeon 9800 XT. I was searching through the Apple store and two Video cards (not that there is a huge choice) hit my eye. The two cards are ATI Radeon X1900 GT Mac Edition and the ATI Radeon X1900 XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for mac pro. The first one, althoguh with less memory of the two should definitelly work. The ATI Radeon X1900 XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro I'm not sure about. I know before I get flamed when it says MacPro I would just like to state what I thought about it. In the specifications for that card it lists "Mac Pro with available double-wide PCI Express slot or two standard slots." I'm not sure what the XT stands for but my orginal card had this destinction. Since it says you can also have two standard slots I wonder if this would fit in my G5.

Now the next part of my question is in regards to installation. Lets assume for a second that both cards would work properly in my PowerMac. How labor intensive is this sort of operation with adding a new video card. By intensive I dont just mean the amount of time but also how difficult the procedure is with a Mac. I have some experience installing video cards on my old PC's years ago back when they used to make the Voodoo cards. I found that to be fairly easy and it worked fine. How does that compare to a self-installation on a PowerMac. I rather do it myself if its easy enough instead of shelling out even more money to the Apple store and losing my computer again for a while after I just got it back from repairs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also if anyone has any experince with these Video Cards or similar ones feedback would definitelly help in my selection.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You do not have a Mac Pro, this one is for the Intel-based machines.

The one for G5 is for the G5, this includes the ROM update that turns it in to a PPC-based Mac video card -- basically a endian shifted card compared to the PC world.

So go for the ATI Radeon X1900 GT Mac Edition -- which is the Radeon X1900 G5 Mac Edition graphic card, or that's what is says in the description.

The OEM card is the Mac Pro Edition -- which lacks the G5 ROM, so it won't work in the G5.

---

As far as replacing the card, if you can replace a PC video card -- the Mac won't be a problem.

3. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Just thought I'd add that that means "two standard" PCIe slots (as opposed to a single, double-wide PCIe slot), not two standard PCI 2.2 slots. Your machine probably is one of the PCI-Express versions, but in case someone else comes along later, I figured it's worth pointing out.

5. GyroFX macrumors 6502

if his computer came with 9800XT...doesn't it mean that his card was an AGP card and not a PCIe card? I thought the Dual 2.5G5 only came in AGP...i may be wrong. I have the Quad and I upgraded to the ATI X1900 G5 Edition. Was a snap to install...just gotta know where the power supply is on the motherboard...right behind one of the fan brackets.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The 9800 only came in AGP G5's. So don't get a PCI-E card! Another option to consider, which is AGP, is the Ati X800 Mac Edition. Furthermore you can flash a pc graphics card if you have a pc. For more information about this, look at strangedogs.com

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Neither of these cards will work in a non-PCI-e PowerMac.

You should search for Radeon X800 XT for Mac.

8. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

What in bloody hell is this site?:eek:

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Go to their forums for help with video cards. The site itself is... strange.

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Sorry about that, I assumed you know strangedogs, it's pretty well known around these forums, especially for the flashing.