General Buying a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. thoughts?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Orange Furball, Nov 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Hello. I have started to get tired of this manufacturer bull crap with slow updates, though I flash ROMs, its still buggy and not always 100% working. I threw my Galaxy Note and HP TouchPad on eBay last night and they sold today. The Galaxy Note for $300 and the TouchPad for $100. I'm buying an 8GB Nexus 4 and a 16GB Nexus 7. I'll get a nexus 10 eventually if I see a need for it.

Is anyone else doing the same thing? Is this a stupid idea?

The biggest decision was 8GB or 16 GB for the Nexus 4. After checking how much space I use when I have all of my pictures and apps on my phone, I'm below 4GB. I stream music and videos so I don't see the need for the extra price of space. It'll be better anyway because I don't have $50 to just throw away. If I did I would just buy some accessories. I also gained $50 on my Galaxy Note because I only paid $250 on contract back in march, and I paid $100 for my touchpad around June. So I lost nothing while gaining tons of performance.

So what are your thoughts on this decision?

2. macrumors 6502a

I think its a smart decision but is only up to you to decide what you want not the next person. im hoping for midnight release tonight, i want the nexus 4 and 10

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I hope I get paid by midnight so I can buy it at midnight :eek:

I hope I can buy it around 3 or 4 tomorrow afternoon without them being out of stock :(

Wish I had a credit card to use... it seems there doing a first come, first served release...

4. macrumors 6502a

i hope stock isnt an issue. This thing has had some buzz behind it.

5. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'd come up with an alternate plan if you are in a pinch. Looks like it sold out in about 20 minutes after going on sale at the Australian Google Play Store.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I have no alternative! :banghead: this sucks. I'll be without a phone for weeks now...

7. macrumors 6502a

sucky thing is its midnight release pst time, im centra ill be in rem sleep by then

8. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

There will probably be a limit per customer. 1? Maybe 2?

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

How about this for a s**** story. I called my mom (im only 16 and don't have a cc) and she said I can't use her credit card. I have $175 in PayPal and two people owe me a total of $400 which will be paid tomorrow. I explained that she would have the money tomorrow and she said no still. I then said I would have to use a credit card anyway as Google Play doesn't accept PayPal. She still said no. I would gladly set an alarm for midnight PST time (in on the east coast) and wake up and by it, then pay her back tomorrow, but she won't let me. I hung up, punched a wall, and smashed a keyboard (I have a -slight- anger problem)

So now I will be without a phone for weeks. Again.

----------

My only hope now is that people don't go for 8gb :fingerscrossed:

10. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

You won't regret it although you may want to get the 16gb nexus 4. I don't know if its the case with the nexus 4 but some devices slow down as the storage gets too close to full. I think you'll love the experience of a nexus device. The great thing is custom roms like cm and aokp are just as stable as stock on these unlike on other devices. I have been running cm as a daily on my galaxy nexus for almost a year now.

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

uploadfromtaptalk1352781615735.jpg
    That's the highest my storage has ever got... that's with more than enough apps for me. I keep games on my tablet (in this case, the Nexus 7)

12. macrumors 6502

Manufacturers need to stop making 8GB devices. Even with an SD card slot, even with cloud access, it's just not enough for 90% of users.

13. macrumors 6502

Relax, you are in the US, not Australia. The Nexus 4 being limited to HSPA means no one on Verizon or Sprint will even bother with it and even many people on a GSM service will be put off it doesnt have LTE. I wouldnt worry about it selling out in the states.

14. macrumors regular

Currently have a Nexus 7

Will be buying a Nexus 4 (hopefully in December on not impulse buy tomorrow).

Tired of HTC because they release 20 phones a year and pretty much stop supporting them months later. I would like a gs3 but way out of my budget

15. macrumors 603

Currently have a 32gb nexus 7 that I'm returning today in anticipation of buying the ATT one with cellular. I'm not in love with Android, it's still a bit laggy and not as nice as iOS, but MUCH more customizable, but I'm still a noob with Android. The reason I have it is because I got sick of lugging around an ipad, the ipad mini isn't pocketable but the nexus is. I am seriously thinking of getting a 16gb nexus 4 to compliment it as well and get rid of my 4s.

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Still says coming soon. Let's hope it stays that way till 4.

17. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

18. macrumors 65816

Turns out you may have been mistaken there, dude

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...-4-already-sold-out-at-u.s-google-play-store/

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Looks like I'm not getting either and I'm screwed out of a tablet and a phone. Wow eBay sucks.

20. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

How exactly were you planning on buying this without access to a credit card?

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I have access I just need all the money first. Some people still didn't pay me so I didn't have all of it. I have a debit card, but my bank account doesn't have enough in it

22. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good luck with it all - word is that supplies will be trickling in, so you just need to keep trying. The N7 is clearly available and unlikely to sell out, so that's pretty much a sure thing. Good luck with the N4. It will happen... I just hope for you that it happens soon.

23. macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

We have LTE in Australia, I was using it last night at the gym.

24. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Welp I'm half way there. I got myself a Nexus 7 16GB. Im waiting for my pickup text from Walmart so I can go pick it up!

Just got to get paid the rest so I can get my Nexus 4*!

*when they're in stock that is.