Buying a PB, some questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ak004m, Jun 18, 2005.

1. ak004m macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm pretty much decided now on buying a 15" PowerBook but I'm a little torn on the details. I want to get the 128MB VRAM upgrade but you can only get that on the 1.67 Ghz model. So my options are....with education discount....

1.67 Ghz, 1gig RAM, Combo Drive, 128MB VRAM - $2,189

1.5 Ghz, 1gig RAM, Combo Drive, 64MB VRAM - $1,934

Or give it a couple more weeks for iBooks to get upgraded.... on that note, what are the chances of new updates to included a higher resolution screen? Performance is hugely important for me but for the performance vs price difference, if that happens i'd go with an iBook

So do you think its worth the extra $250 for the upgraded video ram and extra 170Mhz? Mostly for gaming purposes that i'm even considering the difference, none of the work I do is graphic-intensive as my most frequently used programs are mathematica and matlab.

also.... can you get the $100 education rebate on top of the education discount?
  2. Sogo macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    Well I want to ask you how you are getting the 1gig of ram. Is it 2 512, or 1 1giger? if its jus the one giger id tell you to downgrade to either the standard or the 2 512mb. Ram is getting really cheap these days. But anywho, yes you can get the 100 on top of your 200 from the educational discount, or so i have heard. It might have been some other promotion for all i know.

You wont really feel any difference between either system unless you are playing Word Of Warcraft or doing some heavey work, and even then it will be minor.
  3. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

May 6, 2005
    yes it worth it, since the OS use the VRAM with quartz, for the price difference, it's worth the 167 MHz more and 64 MB VRAM. The iBook have less resolution I wouldn't recommand it for mathematica, mathlab, maple or stuff like that, it's too tiny at my taste, but maybe it could fit your need. The iBook only do mirror video out (wich is a real pain), doing a keynote presentation of your result is great since keynote can display out the normal slideshow on the video out and show the current slide, the next click effect, a timer, note on the display of the portable at the same time, it's a great feature.
  4. ak004m thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2005
    I was planning on the 2x 512, i doubt i'd ever need more than a gig of ram..... is it cheaper to get the standard 1x 512 and upgrade ram from Crucial or something.

Is there a noticeable quality difference in RAM if I were to say order another 512 from Crucial as i know the make a great product?
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Crucial is noted as being a great place to purchase memory. Once you plug in the model you are wanting they will show you what is available for your Mac.

Yes, it you qualify for an education discount, then you are eligible for the $100 off also. You just have to have your PowerBook by the 25th of June. I don't see it listed on the site, so I would give Apple a call.
  6. The_Man macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2005
    Where do you get the educational rebate from? And what do you need to qualify for it?
  7. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    the rebate from apple qualifies for people in college or teachers of college or elementary schools.
  8. drbrog macrumors member

Apr 29, 2005
    link to rebate

See terms and conditions. Must take possession of your mac by 6/25. I believe that means that it has shipped. but not necessarily in your hands.

"Order and take possession of qualifying product from May 2, 2005, through June 25, 2005. Products ordered but not shipped prior to the end date of the offer do not qualify for a rebate."
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002