buying a pc2700 from a friend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tuktuk, Oct 4, 2005.

1. tuktuk macrumors newbie

so i have a late 2004 g4 ibook running 256MB and it's way slow. although the apple tech site recommends the pc2100 for my model, my friend has a 512MB pc2700 stick that i understand will clock down to run like a pc2100. assuming my tech assumptions are in order, my next question is: what's a good price? i'm thinking $50?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'd say be careful. OS X is picky about memory. If its not good quality memory, you're going to have problems. As far as the speed goes, I think it will work, but you're still better off buying it from a place that sells memory specifically for Macs. Tiger is especially picky.

I know, I just went through 5 sticks of memory trying to upgrade mine.

Try this, you can get a 512 stick for $56 and its guaranteed to work:
    http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1132

Trust me, getting cheap memory/memory you're not sure is going to work is NOT worth the hassle!

3. tuktuk thread starter macrumors newbie

not running tiger

i'm actually running panther, but thanks for the tip. anyone else wanna chime in on this?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

if he had it in a Mac then sure go for it, if he didn't then i wouldn't, just because they really are picky

5. tuktuk thread starter macrumors newbie

so

here's his original message:
    "There are two sticks of 512 Mb RAM, making for a total of 1 gigabyte of RAM if both are installed. One is Samsung brand RAM, the other is Lifetime brand, both have a lifetime warranty, and have been recently tested as good RAM. Each stick sells from $75-100 retail, I will sell them both to you for $100. "

so if it came out of a mac then go for it, huh?

6. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

were they used in a Mac, RAM can be great in a PC and then give you nothing but Kernel Panics when put into a Mac

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Except that the price is not all that good if it is US dollars. Is he willing to let you install and test before you pay?
    Why wouldn't you just buy new?

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Here we go again. Nothing against you personally rye9, but I have answered this about 400 times in the last 12 months.

Crucial the company sells good memory. Most of it is made by Micron, some by Samsung and Infineon. Despite what they imply in advertising, Apple does NOT use any Crucial RAM in Macs. Apple contracts RAM from Samsung, Micron, IBM, Hynix and a couple of other factories pretty much interchangeably.

The answer to the question though is, you cannot make a blanket statement about one brand or another being good for a Mac, because it depends WHICH Crucial part number it is, and whether that particular model has been properly configured for Macs. It is also significant which Mac you are talking about. Some are much more finicky than others.

Just about guaranteed, any Crucial (or Kingston or Corsair or OCZ or whatever) that you see at a bigbox or electronic discounter is going to be their PC Generic and NOT guaranteed compatible with Macs.

If you buy Crucial from Crucial with their memory selector to get the right model for your Mac, then you will get good RAM. Perhaps a bit higher priced than other reputable Mac online vendors like my favorite in the USA Data Memory Systems.

The key is to choose a reputable memory seller who tests and guarantees their ram for your specific model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it does not work.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

10. tuktuk thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If it came out of a Mac, the you'll probably be ok, but like I said, Tiger is more picky about RAM than Panther, so if you plan on ever upgrading that could be a concern.

Would somebody please post CanadaRAM's memory advice on a sticky? We do get this question all the time.

12. California macrumors 68040

California

Fifty bucks is a good price. I've begun to like Samsung as it is OEM Apple ram. It should be fine -- pc2700 is backwards compatible to pc2100 plus it will be easier to sell down the line should you decide to splurge on 1 gig of ram.