Buying a Powebook this weekend.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by coleg, Mar 10, 2005.

1. coleg macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I've decided, instead of ordering a 15 inch online, with BTO options that I really don't need( 100 gb hd, 128 vram ), I'm just going to go to the Apple store in Des Moines, Iowa, to buy a 15 inch 1.5 with 1 gb ram.

I won't have to wait for shipping, yay!

I'm wondering though, how do they do student discounts at the stores? Do I have to show them my University ID? Do they check my lasts orders or anything to see if I've used a discount before, or what?

I'm excited.

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

They will want to see some ID if you use the EDU discount in the store.

3. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. I'll have that with me.

Do you know if they check past purchases?

4. jim. macrumors 6502

As long as you haven't ordered a discounted computer in the last year, you should be fine. I don't know if they really check though.

Jim

5. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

6. tekmoe macrumors 68000

get a friend to go with you and have him supposedly purchase the computer. then pay for it yourself. i don't think they can deny you.
    tekmoe

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Good idea, i think you should do that if your afraid they might not sell it to you because you have already purchased a discount computer.

8. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

okay, i'll see if there is someone around that could come with me.

i hope i am not doing anything too bad. am i?

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I doubt Apple is too shook up on having another sale. The "rule" is in place to stop people from buying systems at a discount and then reselling them for a profit.

Being you are selling your PM and buying a new PB due to portability, I think your conscience should be clear. :D

10. lasuther macrumors 6502a

You really should call the store and see what they will require for education discounts. I believe the store in my area requires proof that you are currently enrolled not just a school ID.

lasuther

11. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

A side note: I'd urge you not to buy it from apple with 1gb of RAM. You can buy RAM from other resellers much cheaper, and it is really simple to install yourself.

12. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

I second that.

I second that. I just bought a 15", and I got 2GB of ram for half what Apple would have charged. Then I bought a Dell widescreen with the money I saved.

13. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

it just seems a little simpler for me to get it at the apple store. i'm just wanting to get my pb asap and get done with all my trades and sales.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I just flashed them an ID and that was it, they didn't even really look to check the name.

15. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

awesome. i'm excited. tomorrow afternoon and a new pb for me! wee!

i called the apple store, they told me they don't check past purchases. i just need a driver id and student id.

16. tekmoe macrumors 68000

when i bought my powerbook, i showed them my college id which is 3 years old. no questions asked. i was thinking they might give me trouble, and i would have to log into the college website to show them i've paid for my tuition this semester. but the cashier gave me no trouble whatsoever.

tekmoe