BUYING A POWERBOOK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AP_piano295, Mar 9, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

:confused: i cant decide between the top of the line powerbook 15' the cheeper 15 the price difference wont be extremely larage because I wont keep the superdrive in the top of the line but will the 128 graphics card make enough difference to be worth it. :confused:

2. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

What are you gonna do with the pB?

What kind of programs are you using now or would like to use?

Your question is kinda vague...

3. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

sry some minor graphics art only for the fun of it Bryce 5, A few games I am not hardcore gammer by any means halo, warcraft 3 im not highly worried about quality just so long as I get good frame rates. Im not geting one for a long while after this so im not sure how well the 64 will hold up over the years I dont know the quality of the powerbook videocards.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Get the upgraded video card, the 5400 rpm HD, and atleast 512 ram. You should really try and put a gig of ram if you can afford it. I only have 512 ram in mine and wish i had 1 gig because i know i would see a difference in gaming.

5. raptorhigh macrumors member

I was in the same position, but since I almost always have a second monitor hooked up I went for the 128MB version. With student developer prices it was still less than the lower model.

6. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

I would go with the 15" 1.67 GHZ powerbook, if you can dish out the extra cash then do it. You only live once :D

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Was just looking at the tech specs on the PowerBooks. Are the SuperDrives dual layer? Because I noticed the +/-

8. jim. macrumors 6502

+/- and dual layer are not the same thing. I am pretty sure that Apple computers do not support DL burning at this time.

Jim

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Oh ok. I saw a MicroCenter AD today that had the +/- thing and it said dual layer, so I just put two and two together and I was wrong :eek:

So if "-" is single layer (not sure if that's the correct term) and "+" is dual layer, what is "+/-"?

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

DVD types