Buying a Powermac in Sept

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by founderfilm, Jul 27, 2004.

1. founderfilm macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I am new to these forums and have already found them extremely useful.

However there a few things that I would like to ask for you advice on.

I am planning (after saving like crazy!) to get a Dual 2GHz Powermac in September. I would like to get it upgraded especially the RAM.

Firstly, I am into DV editing and plan to get FCE, therefore how much of a performance difference would I see between 1Gig of RAM and 2Gig? Would I be ok with 1Gig for now? Or would I benifit from the 2Gig?

I also want to get the graphics card upgraded to the 9600XT as it is only an extra £40 on the UK Apple store. I will not upgrade the hard drive for now despite maybe needing extra storage for footage.

So back to RAM, whats the deal with buying the RAM separate (from crucial of course)? Would it invalidate my warranty if I added more RAM as soon as I got the machine? How many of you have done this? Would you recomend it? Would I be able to keep the 2x256 sticks that come with it from Apple and add the crucial stuff on top as long as the pairs match(this way I could buy an extra 1Gig and have 1.5Gig in total)?

As I want the graphics card upgraded I am going to have to wait for Apple to do that upgrade anyway so is it worth just sticking to upgrading the RAM via Apple?

Thanks alot in advance, I know it must be annoying answering all these newbie questions!!

Founderfilm

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

since you are getting the 2GHz you have 8 RAM slots so you could 2Gigs of RAM via 8 x 256 if you wanted to Bt if I were you I would get the stock 256's then buy 2 512's from crucial to bring you up to 1.5 Gigs then later on when you have more money get a couple more 512's.

And ya go with crucial. They are awsome. it is quality with a long warranty and if it doesn't wrk they will just send you some new stuff.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Also this is just directed to anyone on these forums. I have come up with a theory and it is that when it comes to G4's and G5's you shoud have at least the same amount of Ram in MB as MHz of your processor +/- 256.

4. founderfilm thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks it would definately save me a few quid as well!

A few more things though:

How should I go about installing the RAM when I get it? I know how to install RAM as I have been doing it in PC's for ages but should I turn on and setup up the powermac with just the standard 512Mb to start with? Then turn off and install the additional 1Gig afterwards? Or just bung it in at the start and hope nothing will go wrong?

Also what RAM does the G5 powermac support? I know its PC3200 (DDR400) but does it need to be ECC or registered? Or does the cheaper Un-buffered, Non-parity stuff do the trick?

Thanks again!

5. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

No need for ECC, just plain old PC-3200.

Turn it on with the stock config before installing new RAM, just to make sure you haven't received a DOA unit.

6. founderfilm thread starter macrumors newbie

OK cool even more cash saved!

Does anyone know of any problems with mixing the stock Apple RAM with Crucial?

Also is it worth getting the upgraded graphics card? I am not going to be playing games on it just using Final Cut Express, Photoshop and a few general apps. The nVidia FX5200 seems a bit on the lacking side to me and for £40 extra its seems stupid not to upgrade, well except for the wait whilst Apple spend ages fitting it as seems to be the case with non stock Macs!!

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Crucial is excellent quality it'll play nicely with the PM, whatever you do just make sure you buy quality stuff and you shouldn't have any problems.

The FX5200 is a pretty weak card compared to the upgrade cards, I think it's definitely worth the £40 pounds for the Radeon 9600XT not to mention the extra 64MB VRAM.

8. Skiniftz macrumors 6502

If you need a computer delivered within three months of you ordering it then dont bother with Apple - go to www.dell.com and order something from there. They understand that in order to stay in business, a company must actually supply the product they sell within a sensible time frame.

9. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Please don't infect threads with your agenda just because you are pissed at Apple.

10. Chaywa macrumors member

1-1.5 Gigs will be more than enough for FCE. I have 1.5 in my dual 2ghz and am able to run FCP, AE and other progams simultaneously with no problems. I love it! Enjoy your purchase and pay no attention to the troll who directed you to Dull. He ordered a first of it's kind machine with a brand new cooling system and is pissed cause it is delayed. Everyone clogs the system with orders for the latest thing the first few months it is out. Your dual 2 should not be a problem. My mac came right when they said it would. No problems.