Buying a Refurbished 2013 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vettori13, Jun 7, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I live in New Zealand and I am very interested in purchasing a rMBP.

I find that they are a little bit too expensive at their current prices but refurbished ones make the 13' rMBP very appealing.

Due to the better graphics performance of Haswell processors I am only looking at the new rMBP's that should be announced on the 10th.

I want the 256GB model with the stock processor. How long do you think I may have to wait before I can pick up a model such as this from the refurbished store? I know that it can vary a lot but I at least want to know how long it takes usually for new models to make it to the refurbished store.

2. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    It usually takes a few months for new models to show up in refurb. I would guess a 2 month minimum.
  3. macrumors member

Sep 12, 2008
    I am assuming you are as disappointed as I am that Haswell did not get integrated into the rMBP yet... :(
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2013
    Extremely, haha. I think I will have to be patient though because it's best to not rush into buying a computer you are not 100% happy with :)
  5. macrumors member

Sep 12, 2008
    I agree -- I have been waiting 6 years though and I just can't wait any longer, so I pulled the trigger on a rMBP refurb today. :apple::D:apple:
  6. tgi
    macrumors 65816

Aug 29, 2012
    I hope 6 years is being sarcastic.
  7. macrumors member

Sep 12, 2008
    Nope. I just mean that I have been using a late-2006 C2D as my only machine since 2007.
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2013
    Well that should be a massive step up! :D I have been using a Dell Vostro 1510 since mid-2008 so, as you can imagine, the wait feels like a long one haha.
  9. macrumors member

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeesh, then a 6 month wait (or so) for a refurb rMBP 13 with Haswell and ac shouldn't be a big deal!

Although, maybe you're hanging on a by thread and need something NOW. I picked up a current 8GB 256GB 13"rMBP for $1359 and love it. Also sold my overkill 15"rMBP and bought a Thunderbolt display and my kids a MBA (2012 refurb). TMI probably
  10. macrumors member

Sep 12, 2008
    Absolutley it is -- both a big step up and a long wait!

Yeah, actually a 6 month wait would be a huge deal at this point. I have to give my display a little "reach-around" to make it work about half of the time (I'm sure some connector is loose and I need to get inside the MB and re-secure it)... also I have a number of big projects to complete in the next 3 months and I need something that can handle the job and this MB isn't cutting it anymore.

I actually went for the same rMBP you are referring to -- the 13" 8/256. (I opted for the 2.6 refurb (instead of the 2.5) to get (possibly) improved internals.

I figure - at worst - if Haswell rMBPs come out in the next 6 months, I sell this book at a slight loss, suck it up as a "rental fee" and go Haswell if improvements are significant.