buying a refurbished MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aye5882, Aug 15, 2006.

1. aye5882 macrumors member

i know there's a thread w/ a similar name but the guy didn't ask the questions i had...

i've decided to just buy a refurbished mbp for now and sell it when santa rosa comes out. that's when i'll buy a merom based mbp w/ the 800 fsb. anyway...

i'm looking at purchasing the cheapest mpb (1.8GHz) from apple.com and just maxing out the ram. my main concern is: will this laptop have the mooing and heat issues that plagued the early models of the mbp? or can i assumed that since they've been refurbished that its been taken care of?

or another idea would be to wait until the merom mpb comes out and see if these prices would go even lower... do you think that's possible?
    :eek:

2. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure they make sure that refurbished computers come as they would new, and I believe they go through a few tests before they are packaged. Even if you do have issues w/ heat, mooing, etc, they can fix it within the warranty. If you are waiting for Merom, I believe the latest you will have to wait is September 5th. I don't think they would bring the price of the 1.83GHz down much more than $50, its already at $1549. So if thats what you are planning on buying, I say go for it now. Good luck with your decision.

3. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

If you know you want a refurb Macbook Pro, I say go for it. Some people even say that the refurbs sometimes come with "goodies" so mabey you'll get lucky.

Plus as far as upgrades, I myself just purchased a refurb model with the knowledge of a possible upgrade in the very near future. I needed my Macbook now so thats why I purchased it.

Plus current refurb prices won't really drop by much more anyway.

4. aye5882 thread starter macrumors member

hold up... i just thought of something...:D

i can buy a new mbp for $1800 w/ the student discount... get the nano for free* and sell it for ~$150 on ebay... so the total it would cost $1650 for a new mbp... just $100 more than a refurb 1.8GHz. plus, it will have a higher resale value later on since i bought it new.

how's that for a hustler? lol.