Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Im in the market for a new powerbook and wanted to know if its worth getting a new one over a refurbished one. they have very good deals like $500 off the price

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
I don't own a refurbished product myself, but have heard many good things about them.

I bought a 15" AlBook when they were first released, so this wasn't an option for me. However, sometimes I wish I bought a refurbed 17" AlBook just because they like new and such a deal. If money is an issue I see no reason why not to get a refurbished one.

dudewheresmymac

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
get the refurb if you are tight on money otherwise get the new one. The main difference between the new and the refurb is going to be in the appearence, you might have scratches and stuff on the outside of the powerbook.

zip

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2003
I just ordered a refurb 15" superdrive yesterday and got an e-mail saying it has shipped. :)

Going refurb was the only way I could afford it. The Apple person I talked to on the phone said many of them are returned within ten days because the buyer decided they didn't want them. I hope there are no scratches, but I'll take a few because otherwise it would have been the 12" powerbook for me.

I like the portability of the 12", but by the time I up the hard drive to 80 gigs, and add the gig stick of ram, it is in the price range of the 15" refurb. I get a way better screen, faster processor, faster bus speed, more ram expandability, 800 firewire, PCI card slot. Wow! The only sacrifice I am making is on the small, light size. If I find the the 15" easy to walk around with, there will no sacrifice at all -- just a much better machine.

It has the same warranty a new computer has, and I bought Apple Care for it, so I figured why not. I will post more after I get.

I'm really excited about it! Does FedEx deliver on the weekend?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i'll mention this only because some do really, *really* care about it...

refurbs won't come in the original box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.