iPad mini Buying a stolen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kench, Jul 9, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying an ipad mini on Craigslist. The guy is selling a 64 gig ipad mini 3g model for 500. Seems very low. If it is stolen what would happen if I tried to activate it? By the way I am not activating it on a carrier just using it for wifi.

Can I test it if it's stolen using my laptop and connecting it to iTunes?

2. macrumors regular

Don't even buy it, sounds fishy,you can get a refurb from the apple store

3. macrumors 6502a

if you think its stolen ask him to meet you in a police station to do the purchase if he says no its stolen

4. macrumors 6502a

Police station is a bit much and silly. A local Apple store would do the trick.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

What about a McDonald's? I can activate it there over wifi. He says he has a receipt as well. But if I activate it with my laptop and it's stolen will it lock up?

6. macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

I'd be more worried about getting robbed than getting a stolen iPad. That price just sounds too fishy.

7. macrumors 6502a

no its not going to lockup apple doesnt keep a list of stolen items, just make sure you do the purchase in a public place with alot of cameras just in case something goes wrong, I always like meeting inside a bank everybody save and lots of cams everywhere

8. macrumors G3

An Apple refurbished iPad mini 64gb + Cellular is $549. And you would get a full 1 year warranty.

Based on the Apple refurbished price, $500 for a used model doesn't seem like the price is too low, however, in my opinion I'd rather pay the extra and get a full warranty.

9. macrumors 68000

sonicrobby

Dont forget about tax :[
    In my state (LA) it would be $597

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about just ordering one from Apple for the student deal where you get a 50 gift card. Thanks for the info guys!

11. macrumors 68000

And another example of why buying anything on craiglist is moronic. If you need security, or armed, to do a business deal, don't do the freakig deal.

12. macrumors G5

Consultant

CL stays in business because most people don't have problem with it.

No need to be armed.

13. macrumors demi-god

firedept

My suggestion would be to go to an Apple Store or Certified Apple Reseller to do the purchase. They can check if all is in order. But they can't tell if it is stolen. They should be able to set it up for you on the spot. If they can not, then you don't hand over the cash.

You state they have the receipt, so my assumption would be that the seller will not have a problem agreeing to your terms of purchase. If they get buggy about it, walk away.

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll probably either do the student deal or just buy refurbished from Apple. I didn't realize the price was so low on their site.

15. macrumors 68000

Rather not risk my life dealing with rabble.

16. macrumors G5

Consultant

You are far more likely to die from second hand smoking or car accident than buying things through CL.

And as others said the price is near market value.

17. macrumors 6502a

I don't think asking for $500 for a used mini sounds fishy. It's $159 less than MSRP. I wouldn't worry about it.

18. macrumors 6502a

I've bought one car on CL, and sold two others. I live outside of Philadelphia, and while an ad on CL brings out some weirdo characters, they've all been harmless. Also, $500 is the asking price, and it's very common to ask for more than you expect to get. ;)

19. macrumors regular

cledet

I buy and sell off craigslist all the time. Sometimes you'll spot a great deal because the seller just needs some quick cash. But don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with.

20. macrumors member

iDominic

The regualar iPad Mini Cellular 64 GB is $659, and he's selling it for $500? It doesn't seem low at all..?

21. macrumors 6502

I actually met someone who is now my best mate when I bought my first unlocked iphone 2g. So as the above stated CL isnt always bad, matter of fact here in Seattle i have yet to have a bad experience with it.

22. macrumors regular

Holy world of paranoia Batman.:rolleyes: The comments in here crack me up.

It's a USED iPad. Used SHOULD be less than new. It also should be less than referb in most cases. But remember a referb is a broken one that was fixed.

23. macrumors 68030

USED but still under warranty, decidedly more valuable than used and out of warranty. A refurb is "like new" in every respect. It wasn't necessarily broken in the first place, it could have been purchased new, opened and returned in the first couple of weeks in perfect condition. Even if it was broken, it's indistinguishable from new.

24. macrumors 6502a

Holy world of Batman what an uninformed comment. Op, comment above me beat me to it. oh well.

25. macrumors 65816

rabidz7