Buying a Wacom tablet.. Graphire or Intuos?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mode, Jul 1, 2006.

1. mode macrumors member

Hey there,
    I'm gonna be buying a Wacom tablet for some illustration work on the computer and whatnot. I've decided that a 6x8 inch surface is most suitable for the price, as 4x5 is just way too small for me.

I've seen the Graphire3 6x8 going for $200, with the Intuos3 6x8 retailing at $300. I know that the Intuos has some programmable hotkeys and whatnot, but besides that, they both come with a pressure-sensitive pen and a wireless mouse.

I'm just wondering, hotkeys aside, is there anything in terms of quality that the Intuos3 has over the Graphire3? Is the pen capable of utilizing more options or what?

Thanks.

2. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I have the Intuos3 6x8 and it is great, the major difference is that the levels of pressure sensitivity is double in the Intuos3, it has "Touch Strips" and ToolID.

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Only go for Graphire IF you need the wireless bluetooth, which is what I have. If you dont need wireless, go for Intuos.

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Note, the Intuos can also detect what angle you're holding the pen at.

That said, I have the 6x8 Bluetooth Graphire, and its great :cool:

5. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

The others have rundown the feature differences fairly concisely, but I would generally say that if you're using the tablet just to draw or play with photos, get a Graphire. If you're using the tablet for your career as an artist or you'll be making money off your work, get the biggest Intuos you can...

You can also try Wacom's Tablet Wizard to see what they recommend.

edit: for those of you who already have tablets, I have a quick question: How does a 4x5 tablet work with a widescreen display? Are there inactive "letterbox" areas on the tablet? Is everything distorted? Do you lose control of the sides of the screen? Thanks.

6. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

At Macmall.com right now you can get a 4x5 graphire3 (not 4) for only 40.00. I just ordered one and if I find it doesn't fill my needs I can always sell it on ebay and go for the intuous! Just thought you might like to know. :D

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Intuos 3 widescreen here. Costly but couldnt live without it now...

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just got a Graphire4 yesterday, still playing around with it, but works fine with my 17" imac G5 display. no letterboxing or anything such as that.

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

If you draw a perfect circle on the tablet, does it show up as a perfect circle on screen?

Sorry, I'm sort of hijacking... :eek:

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as far as i can tell yes, i'm still not very good with it yet. lol.

but 4x5 isn't a square either remember.

11. mode thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm sort of inbetween.. I'm not using it for career work or anything, but I'm entering my senior year at an arts high school, and having a good stable tablet to use for my classwork and leisure time will be a really helpful tool.

Does the Bluetooth Graphire3 come with a USB reciever? I'd imagine it would, right?.. And can it charge via USB cable as well? How long does it last on a full battery charge?

12. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

would you recommend the 6x11 over the 6x8?

for instance, I currently use my 23" ACD at home, and my 24" Dell at work. But when i go back to school to get my bachelors, im gonna use these two side by side. Would i benefit much from getting the 6x11 over the 6x8?

(and yes i would only consider the intuos because this would be for my work. and livelyhood )

13. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Well, both monitors have an optimal resolution of 1920x1200.

So, the aspect ratio for the monitor is 1.6:)1)
    The aspect ratio of a 6x8 (8x6) tablet is 1.33.
    The aspect ratio of a 6x11 is 1.83.

One's too big and one's too small, so taker your pick :eek:

14. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

The BT graphire comes with its own charger and no BT dongle.

Battery life is great.

15. mode thread starter macrumors member

No dongle? Well, forget that then.. We'll still see whether or not I get myself a MacBook Pro before the end of the summer, but I don't think the eMacs at my school are equipped with Bluetooth, so maybe a wired solution is the best for the time being anyway.