Buying a WinTel machine is like...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lewdvig, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Marrying someone, who while mildly attractive is below your standards. You justify this by thinking that they will be lower maintenance, more practical but ultimately they let themselves go shortly after the wedding. You have to change your whole life to make it work.

Staying on Windows is like divorcing this spouse after you realize its only going to get worse and that you will never be happy and then marrying someone else that while younger, has the exact same properties.

Smart people either never make mistake number one, or after recognizing it switch to a partner that will make their lives happier.

-------------------------------------------

Its too cold outside to walk to my bagel place, so I am going to sit here and type stuff like this for a while as I eat my sangvitch.

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I am so tired of this rabid zealotism that pervades even what I call a mac website standard like Macrumors.

Each side [pc and mac] have their specific advantages, their pros and their cons, and specific markets they both cater to.

To overlook this crucial fact is to be the worst kind of zealot: the uninformed.

Now mind you that if I was up to it I would have posted my normal tirade of anti-zealotism, but alas I am not. So I leave you with this:

Mac=Great*
    PC =Great*

*Depending on wth YA USE IT FOR!

-tazo

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

what's a legal, useful use for a PC where it is distinctly better than a mac?

4. dho macrumors 6502

A paperweight!

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

doorstop?

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

but paperweights are supposed to be nice-looking.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

There's no need to make this into a PC vs. Mac thread.

Tazo makes a good point.

arn

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Gaming, and when people have a lot of software they have bought for pc it is not economically feasible to go mac...

and kazaa is a cheap shot shadow ;)

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

OK, i'll give you that one.

alright tazo, i agree with you. PCs are great überexpensive doorstops.

10. dho macrumors 6502

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

gaming i not useful. in that respect the PC is ousted by Xbox and PS2 anyway. as for not being a feasible switch because of software investments--you're right. but at the same time, that doesn't make the PC great.

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Apple should make a doorstop:

"The worlds most powerful, most efficient, super com-- doorstop"

;)

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hahahaha....

Mommy, the hamster got electrocuted on a capacitor again!!

*didn't i tell you to ground the little bastard, junior?!*

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

dito!

It drives me mad when people mindlessly bash the PC. I have a PC and I love it, I use it for all sorts. I have a Mac, I use it for all sorts, and I love it.

We (Mac users) get pissed when PC people bash the Mac...you are no better than them.

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

While I agree with you, the console vs. pc gaming argument is a long and overly debilitating topic -- not to mention betwixt someone who most likely games and someone like myself who does a minimal amount.

The pc is great depending on what ya need it do do, just like a mac is great if it does what ya need to do. People hold different things at different lengths away from their heart, for some it is gaming, while others it is everything else ;)

You are absolutely correct! It is a mindless double standard that need not pervade Macrumors.com like the useless blather that is spymac.

-tazo

16. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

agrees :)

g5 great looking Mac / pcs look great too
    fast yep there both fast formats now
    big hard drives yep
    chips a choice of chips too

enough blah from me

17. dho macrumors 6502

BOth the g5 and a pc would be perfect to help nurture some fertilized eggs

for a t-rex

18. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

Dude, read the sig next time. I have pretty much as fast a PC as you can buy today.

This is just meant for fun. Tazo (and others) you are what you condemn: zealots! Typical Mac spazzes that lash out without thinking. Haha, I laugh at you.

19. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

its tazo, first of all, look at my handle and you will surely see the omission of a capital 't'.

2nd you seem like a zealot yourself mr. lwedvid.

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you keep saying that, and you can't come up with anything but games.

seriously, i think the mac is better. at everything that is important and useful. the gaming thing just reinforces that PCs are better as toys. ok. that does nothing for me.

a balanced mac view, i think, is one that states that while the Mac is better, PCs are perfectly viable, adequate machines, especially (and really only) when you know what you're doing on them.

if i refuse to say that PCs are great, that doesn't make me a zealot. they aren't trash cans, obviously, and bashing them mindlessly is wrong, but they really are not as good as macs. if i didn't think so, i wouldn't have bought a mac.

21. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

Zealot with out a cause, thats me!

My old sig:
    G4 Tower 1.25GHz MDD RADEON 9000 (stock... for now, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)
    3.36GHz P4, 1GB Dual Channel DDR, RADEON 9800XT, WinXP Home - necessary evil (games)
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7171873

22. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

oh here we go again :> i ask ya is it worth all this effort to get some were both platforms are great no doubt about it and at the end of the day there only computers do you get pissed over some one werearing armani colothing compared to some one wearing Jeans tshirt and sneakers

23. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

shadow makes a good point...

I can understand someones reasoning for having a pc and keeping it over buying a new mac, because if they have say the adobe suite [paid for] then it is not really economically feasible to pay that 800 dollar price tag again for the mac, even tho he or she might have a better user experience on the mac.

Ya get where i am going with this shadow? It all comes down to the economic feasibility and the almighty legal tender.

-tazo

24. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

Just looking for some creative and entertaining analogies. Didn't think it was so much to ask. Mac users are a creative community, what's the big deal.

Are we really so PC that we can't bash PCs. I have way more money sunk in PCs than Macs. Believe me, it does not hurt my feelings to bash them.

LOL, people who don't even own PCs are like 'please don't hurt 'em,' or 'save the starving Wintel boxes, don't let 'em die!'

If you want a serious cause, there are kids starving in Africa. Get upset about that. This is just fun and games.

25. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

if you have both pc and Mac formats you have the best of both worlds

echnomic wise having 2 formats makes life easier you can cross over onto what ever platform dose the job best but once again :) i like both platforms just wish my pc was a tad quiter bowls the friging house down when its on and thats not because of power but because of the heat sink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.