Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
If my house was on fire and after everything else I had time to grab a computer, I would grab the Mac first. Its the only place I trust for keeping family pix and movies. Digital hub for sure.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by tazo
shadow makes a good point...

I can understand someones reasoning for having a pc and keeping it over buying a new mac, because if they have say the adobe suite [paid for] then it is not really economically feasible to pay that 800 dollar price tag again for the mac, even tho he or she might have a better user experience on the mac.

Ya get where i am going with this shadow? It all comes down to the economic feasibility and the almighty legal tender.

-tazo
i know where you're going, but as i said, your situation has nothing to do with which is better. you may be tied to the PC by a few thousand dollars of software, but that will never make it better, even for you. it would still be better to get a mac, but you just can't afford it, so it's "better" to stick with the adequate solution. that's just a "can't afford to switch" thing.

I'd be driving an RX-8 now--if i could afford it. the fact that i can't doesn't make my civic better for me...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Actually, in a corporate environment, it's much better to run Windows PCs are termnals to the large enterprise-wide machines.

IBM, for instance, provides terminal emulation licences for a few thousand USD while the same type of emulation costs 250 USD per seat.

Besides that, database management tools, Customer Relationship Management applications which run on small graphical systems tend to not run well, if at all, on Macintosh.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
A PC can do anything a Mac can and just as good. :rolleyes: Theres no argueing this. It can also do it at a cheeper price also ;)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by leet1
A PC can do anything a Mac can and just as good. :rolleyes: Theres no argueing this. It can also do it at a cheeper price also ;)
yeah, and you know what? it's over a million times better at getting viruses than a mac. ;)

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by shadowfax
yeah, and you know what? it's over a million times better at getting viruses than a mac. ;)

Its called virus protection ;)

Very simple to keep a PC Virus free, but of course you get those 1D10T errors. :rolleyes: lol

stoid

macrumors 601
Okay. For over a month our campus with heavy firewall and virus software installed was SO over run by the blaster virus that bandwidth used by the blaster virus was twice that of regular legit bandwidth usage. Apparently, it's not that easy to keep a Windows machine virus free.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I have never had a Virus on a PC at work or home that wasn't nabbed by NAV.

But I have received a lot of resumes and important business docs from people who were infected by Outlook or SMTP virii or worms. It was enough to convince me to put all my important stuff on the Mac.

Can you imagine your resume or an NDA'ed document being sent to your entire contact list? This is the stuff nightmares are made of.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by stoid
Okay. For over a month our campus with heavy firewall and virus software installed was SO over run by the blaster virus that bandwidth used by the blaster virus was twice that of regular legit bandwidth usage. Apparently, it's not that easy to keep a Windows machine virus free.

Wrong, it is. Its the people using them that are the problem. ;)

If everyone would have patched when they should have there would be no problems there.

stoid

macrumors 601
I have the perfect virus protection package installed on my laptop, it's called Mac OS X. It's not a slice of swiss cheese, and therefore not vulnerable to viruses. The idea behind a Mac is that you don't have to be a tech geek just to do basic OS functions and have security on your machine. If it's too hard for a beginner to do beginner-type things, then in my book, it chalks up as a fat pile of ****.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
'Wrong, it is. Its the people using them that are the problem.

If everyone would have patched when they should have there would be no problems there.'

Wrong.

The problem is creating an OS where every user has root priveleges. You can run arbitrary code easily on any PC.

This is a problem that will require a completely new, from the ground up, OS from MS. They won't do this. Longhorn, for example, is just a bunch of new things tacked onto XP. New file system, a new winapi32, etc. MS can not afford to break backwards compatibility (especially when 95% of the market bought your last OS).

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by stoid
I have the perfect virus protection package installed on my laptop, it's called Mac OS X. It's not a slice of swiss cheese, and therefore not vulnerable to viruses. The idea behind a Mac is that you don't have to be a tech geek just to do basic OS functions and have security on your machine. If it's too hard for a beginner to do beginner-type things, then in my book, it chalks up as a fat pile of ****.

Ok, I just laughed when I read this post. You think you have to be a tech geek just to do basic OS functions in windows? I'm guessing you haven't used one in the past 10 years? lol Security on a windows machine is easy, Firewall + virus scan. Not a big deal.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by lewdvig
The problem is creating an OS where every user has root priveleges. You can run arbitrary code easily on any PC.

firewall + virus scan ;)

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
firewall + virus scan ;)

Virus scan is great for last week's virus. But if I send you something new, it will own your box.

Unless you configure your Firewall properly you are not completely protected from the outside world.

This just adds a extra layer of complexity to a system. All this extra complexity to fix a core flaw.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Sigh, this thread was no fun.

I guess I can understand my everyone flipped out. Its impossible to keep these things on topic.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
firewall + virus scan ;)
such a foolish comment: my roommate had all the latest updates to windows, a firewall up, and Norton antivirus going... he got hit by blaster several times, really messed him up, as well as tons of people here at OU who also have virus protection. my mac has no virus protection, and i am yet to get a trace of one.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I like my PC

really HAPPY with that machine when runs on Linux, really great when I got to run those of my carreer programs which don't run on mac, I got a partition for Linux and it's nice, Virus? Never, It never gets connected to internet, that Pentium III will stay here...It's not against PC, it's just again 3 - 5 reboots / week ...

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by lewdvig
Virus scan is great for last week's virus. But if I send you something new, it will own your box.

Unless you configure your Firewall properly you are not completely protected from the outside world.

This just adds a extra layer of complexity to a system. All this extra complexity to fix a core flaw.

Ok, you send me something new......I don't open it :eek:

Problem solved. No reason to open a strange document. ;)

Configuring a firewall isn't too hard either. Linksys come with a nice little picture book of instructions, heh.

Of course you also have software firewalls. ZoneAlarm, which is free, ask you what you want to access the internet. Just say yes or no, pretty simple ;)

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
such a foolish comment: my roommate had all the latest updates to windows, a firewall up, and Norton antivirus going...

Kind of odd, so did I, and yet....I stayed virus free. Hmmm, strange.

There was nothing foolish about my comment, so pssh :p

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Kind of odd, so did I, and yet....I stayed virus free. Hmmm, strange.

There was nothing foolish about my comment, so pssh :p
it's different when you are on a college network, though.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
it's different when you are on a college network, though.

I was on my colleges wireless network..... Am I missing something here? Whats the difference?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I was on my colleges wireless network..... Am I missing something here? Whats the difference?
i don't know. perhaps yours has better security. OU's security isn't particularly good. still, it's not the users' fault here though. it's just hard to keep up with all this stuff, and an insanely huge amount of trouble to bother, on everyone's part.

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Originally posted by tazo
I am so tired of this rabid zealotism that pervades even what I call a mac website standard like Macrumors.

Totally disagree with you. There's nothing wrong with this - we get this junk from the PC side of the world CONSTANTLY. Mostly, THEY'RE misinformed, not Mac fans. I don't think it's fair to complain about somebody hating windoze (well, because it SUCKS), and being a fan of the Mac in a Mac forum of any sort. FYI, I work on PC's all the time, and am far from misinformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.