Buying advice...again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by twomiracles, Feb 23, 2007.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

So, the dealer will take back this lemon of a mini and you will all be happy to know that I'm not giving up on Mac, just because of one bad experience. However, I'm taking a 20% hit on the return :( and now have to decide what to buy in it's place.

I REALLY want the iMac 20" with the 2.16 processor, upgraded to 2GB of RAM and the 256MB video card. However, I will be forced to do all my design and webdesign work on my laptop (PC) until I get whatever I get and it would likely be a couple of months before I could save enough to get the 20". I can buy a 17" with the 2.0 processor and the 128MB video card locally, even getting $100 off because I'm a student. I could upgrade the RAM later, when I have the funds to do so, but once I commit to the 2.0 processor and 17" screen (I am currently using a 17" that is not a widescreen and happy with it), I can't upgrade those things.

I use Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver in addition to heavy browsing. I know there are other machines besides the 20" that would be even better, but they're out of my budget at this time.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

2. spuality macrumors newbie

All I know is that those 20" screens on the imac are REALLY nice. I mean, the 17" is nice too, but the 20"...dude, wait and get the 20".

3. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I have a 17" iMac and my friend has a 20". When I go onto his computer the difference is HUGE. You wouldnt think that three inches makes a big difference but it does. I wish I had the 20" but I couldnt afford it and I do not have any complaints about my machine.

However, I never feel cramped when using the 17", I usually have iChat, iTunes and Safari or Firefox us at once. Even when working in Photoshop its not that big of an inconvenience even though when working with alot of layers it sometimes gets cramped.

So the 20" is awesome but the 17" is really good too.
    So if you have the money go for the 20"
    If you have even more go for the 24", that one is just amazing.

4. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Save some more the 24inch is one of the nicest screens i have ever seen.

5. Piepz macrumors member

The 24" is too big for me to be honest :D
    I went down to one reseller and they had 24" iMacs, the screen was so huge that I needed actually to move my head to see dock or other menus the other side of the screen. Too big for my room.