Buying Advice: Cinema Displays 20" or 23"HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gabt, Jun 11, 2005.

1. gabt macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2005
    I can't do it! I can't decide! I've spent hours in Apple stores comparing the two displays side by side. I can't decide which one to get.

The only thing stopping me from getting the 23-incher is price -- the 20" is $900 CDN student / the 23" $1650 CDN student. I like them both, and for space alone, i think the 20" is sufficient. But I'm someone who likes to purchase for the future as well. "The year of HD" is upon us and I don't want to buy obsolete technology.

I've downloaded HD trailers and wathced them on each display... couldn't really notice a difference.

The primary use of this display will be for school work, including video editing, web surfing, paper writing/research; I'll also be using it to watch a bunch of DVDs.

The extra size is key for FCP and movie watching, but it's almost twice the price for an extra 3" and an HD which I'm not too sure about.

Does anyone suspect a lot of use for the HD aspect in the coming year?

G5 dual-2/Tiger user/lover
  2. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Get a 22 inch Cinema Display. That is what I did. Of course back in those days the choice was 22 or 23. I am very happy that I went with the 22 due to the slightly larger pixel size making it much easier to read documents and programming.

Looking at your situation. You can get a 20 for $900 or a 23 for $1650. You might want to consider if you would rather have two 20 inch displays vice one 23. Two 20 inch displays will cost you $1800 -- not much more than one 23 and you will have considerably more screen space albiet on two monitors vice one.

And if you wait a while to get the second one, prices will drop so a dual 20 inch display setup will cost you even less in the future.

Additionally, the 20 inch is smaller, lighter, easier to move, puts out less heat, etc.

Good luck.

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    I would say go for the two 20" displays. I am saving up for a 20" at the moment and will be able to pick up another when I have more money. The big thing for me was how much more sreen space do I really get. If you open a word document on a 23 and a 20 you only get about half an inch more space on teh height of the page. I agree that a 23" would be great but I really dont think it will be worth the price difference.
  4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    24" Dell?

Have you considered the 24" Dell LCD? Everyone raves about them, and they're cheap.... $1000US for 24"! They don't have the FW hub that the ACDs do, but they do have a USB hub (better in my opinion... FW devices are generally drives, which stay put MOST of the time... USB devices come and go from your desk much more often in my experience), 3 separate interface options (DVI, VGA, and several TV standards), all of which can be used simultaneously for picture-in-picture and split screen viewing. Plus there's an integrated 9-in-1 flash card reader.

Really a better buy that the ACDs, just not as good looking. Though, I think they look nice, personally, but I also thought the old plastic ACDs were nicer looking that the new ones.
  5. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    I run a 23" and love it. Best computer purchase I've ever made. That's just me.

The thought of two screens never really did it for me - maybe I'm just crazy, but I find it more annoying than anything. What's the point of more screen if there's a huge gap in the middle?
  6. gabt thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2005
    Dell 24"

Is it a Widescreen Display? Is it HD?
  7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I was in the same shoes as you are. So, I got a 20" and 23" ACD for my 12" and 15" PB. I could not resist the big screen real estate a 23" provides. A 30" is the best; but you need a high powered graphic card to run that thing. If the budget is the issue, go for a 20". It is big enough.
  8. lopresmb macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005

It is widescreen and it is HD (WUXGA resolution). Some people have complained that the casing is a bit lower quality in comparison to the Apple and that the backlighting is not quite as good in some cases. (I wouldn't know, I don't own one). But when you factor in the price differential seems like a great monitor if you ask me.

--check them out here - - they also have a 20 incher for $750USD
  9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Dell screens in the UK have a huge deal of money off! So tempting to buy! Perhaps new screens out soon?