buying advice, G4 towers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maelstromr, Oct 8, 2003.

1. maelstromr macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2002
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hey everyone,
    I want to buy a G4 to augment my computing power. (On a Pismo right now). I hope to spend $1000> after monitor...I am very willing (expecting) to do some upgrading in the future...or the present. In your opinions, what's the best route to go...sawtooth with upgrades? Quicksilver without for now? Mirror door and no upgrades for a while?
    I want to be ABLE to play warcraft III, Age of Mythology, ect...please don't waste breath telling me I need a G5 to play Doom IV in six years. It would be nice to get decent performance out of RtCW and MoH, but again please don't bog me down in discussion about the best fps rates and such...after all, I've been happy with my Pismo until now.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    i would look for a 733 quicksilver for the best price, get a decent video card for it 64mb or better and a lot of ram. get a good cheap used monitor adc if you can find it. later you can allways throw in a dual g4 upgrade or higher single cpu such as a 1.25 whatever. ati 9800 or better video card later. you got everything you need and more and will still be playing doom3. I know i have a 1.33 upgraded quicksilver 2.5 yrs old & geforce 3 and loving it still. nascar 2003, RTCW,(UT2K3 on high) all runs really great at 800x600. should be some great deals on quicksilvers these days and they can still grow.
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I would say go for a QuickSilver that can be upgraded to Dual 1.42 (just came out, but price will go down in time).

You could get 1.5GB RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro in that machine... it would kick some major PC a$$.