buying advice: iBooks on average faster than PowerBooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mellow2bits, Jun 6, 2005.

1. mellow2bits macrumors member

Jun 6, 2005
    Anyone choosing between an iBook and a PowerBook, consider the operational cost of the notebook compared to performance (i.e. consider the value of your money):

Sure Powerbooks are faster than iBooks, but they are also significantly more expensive. When you buy an iBook, you can on average write it off in about 2 years. When you buy a PowerBook, you will have to keep it for about 3-3,5 years to get the same average cost/year as with the iBook.

A little example: My parents both buy a notebook today. My father buys an iBook, my mother buys a PowerBook. When, after two years my father buys a new iBook, this one is faster than my mothers powerbook that she still has to keep for another year to get the same mileage (money-wise;). After three years she buys her second PowerBook, but one year later my father is already buing his third iBook (and so on). The same comparison goes for the top of the line iBook versus the 12" model. When you buy the low-end model you pay less and can buy a new one more often.

So why is this? the answer is simple: you always pay premium for top-performance. The wisest buy is to buy the simplest model you can afford (not money-wise, but feature/performance wise). Don't get over-excited and over-loaded on features, keep as much money in your pocket as possible and write-off your laptop as quickly as possible. This way you always have the best average price/performance ratio.

so, whenever someone asks me which 'Book to buy, my answer is: buy the slowest, simplest one you can afford. Look closely at your needs, anticipate your future use for the next year and buy an the notebook that suits the job just fine. Then replace it after about 2 years (when resale value is still relatively high) and on average you wil have better performance than when you always buy the fastest machine around but have to keep it for 3-3,5 years to reach the same operational cost.
  2. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    That makes most sense for business purposes, the average Joe Blow doesn't care too much about operating cost/year or other metrics like that.

For personal purchases it comes down more to needs/wants vs. cost at the time of purchase, for example if they need a laptop for graphic design then a PB is more than likely a necessity, if they need a laptop just to write papers, browse the web, do email etc. then an iBooks all they need.

Your analogy is an interesting one thoughgh, I just don't fully agree with it that's all! :)
  3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, I think if your time is important then the extra money is well spent. Also before you think different see my sig. I bought an iBook since at the time it was to close to choose and I went for the cheaper method. Now the but, if I was doing work at a medium to heavy flow I would get the PB 15" that offers some extras (back to time is money and working from home counts a lot) it would even out if not surpass the cheaper method.
    For the average person I "fully agree with you" and as for the above average then hey go for it since the cost will balance out. :)
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Yup. And on a 5 year average, I'm actually smarter than I am right now... :D
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I totally agree... but if you really want to save a bundle, do the same comparison with yearly Mac mini purchases (with one very long lasting cheap 17" or even more expensive 20" LCD, a once bought Apple Keyboard) to a new 17" iMac every tree years or even a 20" every four years...
  6. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    that is an interesting idea. But if you work in a business that introduces new apps frequently then you need to future proof a little. For instance if you work in motion graphics, you buy a computer that works with After Effects (just making it) then a program like Motion comes out and you lose out on the time-saving workflow of Motion because you can't run it unless you have a better computer.
  7. mellow2bits thread starter macrumors member

Jun 6, 2005
    mac mini

You must have read the last paragraph in my post that I deleted just before submitting it. That was exactly my thought! (and Apple would be very happy to see you returning every year to buy a new mini).

But we do seem to agree! ;) My advice is to buy the simplest Mac you can afford. I don't mean afford money-wise, but feature-wise. If your a prof. photographer then by all means max out on the meanest fastest PowerBook you can find, because you will need every last herz in that processor! But if you are a student and just need to do email, wordprocessing and browsing don't get lured into believing you need the best and the fastest. Spend your money wisely (even if you're not a business; we all want our money to last as long as possible? - or am I being too Dutch now;)) and in the end on average you'll be smarter in 5 years then you are now...
    Didn't Einstein have his best idea's in his early twenties...
    hmmm and after 30 life is like a black ski-slope: going down... rather steep :eek:
  8. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2004
    That's because you live in Canada. Americans are on a decreasing intelligence average! Something about the water I think! :eek: