Buying advice, Laptop and desktop, or super powerful laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by WannabeSQ, Feb 19, 2003.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Right now I have a Mac desktop and a PC laptop. I was thinking of buying a 12" powerbook and a dual 1.25 powermac to replace both of my computers. My concern is, how will I sync them, and, would I even need 2 computers? A thought just came to me, just get the 17" powerbook and be happy, its cheaper than getting the 2 computers I just mentioned, and will cover all of my computer needs. But, then I will still need my old powermac for audio work, which is fine I guess.

My basic question, is would you rather have 2 computers and try to keep them synced, or just get one top of the line laptop?

2. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Re: Buying advice, Laptop and desktop, or super powerful laptop?

one laptop....you save time without the synching, and the overall cost would be less...I would recommend a 15" 1GHz powerbook once they are updated which may be soon.

3. damage macrumors newbie

The question really is what do YOU need ? I personally have 3 pc's a wintel laptop a 1ghz tibook and a g4 - and I use all of them for various tasks depending on what job I am doing or who I'm consulting with.

Horses for courses I say.

4. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

If you are doing audio work, it depends if you are still stuck in 9 or not. If you are still stuck in 9, obviously you cannot get a new mac desktop to replace your current one.

I recommend maybe getting a 12" albook now, and then getting a 970 desktop when that comes out in 6-8 months.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Here is a question for you. What do you plan to use the laptop for if you get 2 machines?

6. WannabeSQ thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I use my laptop for taking notes in class, and after having one, it is nice to have a computer with you, and My thinking was that the small powerbook would be easier to "justify" taking more places, and with the battery lasting twice as long as my PC, all the more reason to bring. I use the desktop for Pro Tools, which just came out for OSX, so I am finally not trapped by 9 anymore. Digidesign hasn't "certified" the new ones yet, but they do that eventually. The main reason I don't use my laptop when I am home is that it is a PC, and i dislike windows. Also, this 500mhz tower is starting to show it's age, especially when running many applications (iTunes sure sucks up CPU cycles) I also want to get into Final Cut Pro, as I will be a Film major, and having my own computer to edit on would be nice.

I also thought since I would already have a main desktop computer, that I could probably get away with an iBook instead of the powerbook. Any opinions on that? I mainly want a lightweight, portable computer with long battery life, and both powerbook and iBook fit the bill.

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

An updated 15" AlumiBook should suit you quite well. Plug in a monitor at home and you can have a larger screen if needed. The portability is worth every penny.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if you plan on moving your laptop anything more than to/from the office every day, the 17" would be horrendous for you. it's only semi-portable, really... just too big to move around like that. forget taking it to class. it's a nice machine, and i love recommending it, but not in this case.

i don't see why an iBook wouldn't suit you well... unless you specifically need the G4 or extra communications , the iBook is a hell of a nice little machine. the 12" powerbook is for those people that want the iBook size but a little extra kick...

of course, the powerbook would have a higher resale value and would be obsolete later than the iBook.

how's that for hedging my bets?

my advice would be this. go to an Apple store or resaler, and compare the iBook and PowerBook. see which one you like more. I don't know that i would wait for the updated 15", it could be longer in coming than people realize. but if the screen is adequate for you, the 15" would be a very nice single-computer for you... it's really up to you on whether or not you want to wait.

:)
    pnw

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Play with the iBook to make sure it is good for you for notes and that sort of thing.

If you are happy with it, I'd say go for the PowerMac and an iBook. The total cost will be close to the 17" PB, you will have a power house for the desktop and a very lioght (albeit not as powerful) portable from when you are away from your work station.

As for synching data, get an iPod or a firewire drive and use it for saving your data. :D

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just a note on the syncing, Airport is great for that kind of stuff. Get cards in each, and you won't even need a base station unless you want good internet on the portable. File transfers are great particulary over Airport Extreme, which you would get with new machines.

JW

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I'm the one with the experience!

I have a tower and 2 powerbooks and I work with audio and video.

If you have Protools and you are using an M-box you are done, if you are using PCI base system you will have to keep the tower.

Now, I have 2 Pismos and I'm working After Effects with them right now, actually I'm rendering while I'm typing and I'm under OS9.

You can get away with an iBook so easy for typing stuff. I would take the top of the line iBook with super drive and full ram. If you have the chance to have airport cards in booth of your computers you are way too up there! you have an state of the art set up. I'm using clable based net working.

Trust me, get the iBook, save some money and keep the tower, or sell the tower and get a new one.

In my case I would get a new iMac just if you are using M-Box to capture audio, if you are in to PCI get the tower but in my case I do not want mor PCI stuff around me, they are a pain to install and to sell later.

12. WannabeSQ thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I should mention that I already have a linksys wireless network, so that part is covered, and I already have an iPod, so im good there too. I think ill get the powerbook and the tower, just cause that extra $500 in the powerbook is worth it for the size and not having a tray load, (I hate tray loading laptop drives) Thanks for the advice.

Also, I got turned down for a loan from Apple, so it will be a while before I get both, but maybe i can get the laptop, and save up for the 970 cause ill have the $$ by then.

13. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Good point, but no AirPortEx in iBooks yet.