Buying Advice: MacBook or 12" PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by EricChunky, May 16, 2006.

1. EricChunky macrumors regular

My Girlfriends birthday's coming, which one to buy...

only two concerns:

1. Crappy stupid GMA950 and the ATI fx 5200, which one is better
    2. Battery lifes? estimates?

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The Macbook with enough RAM (1GB or more) will be better for almost anything except apps that has to run through Rosetta.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Keep in mind that you'll need 1GB or more on the MacBook due to Rosetta and integrate graphics, whereas a PB will work, albeit not great, w/512MB.

That said, unless you need it to work in clamshell mode, I'd pick the MacBook.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Battery life is clearly stated on the MacBook web page.

I'd get the MacBook, there's no point in getting a PowerBook now.

5. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

Welll i'm putting an order now... the UK education store doesnt allow me to purchase AppleCare ? possibility becoz the 3 year warrenty is included? the odd thing is they removed the banner that stating this (3 yr free warrenty) from today... wicked

anyway... doesnt matter... apple is really fxxking up dell now, a laptop that cheap like hell and cost 1/3 as a mbp... lol

the memory thingy, since i've returned my macbook pro last month, there's a spare 1g ram left out... lol... so my gf should be fine with 1.25g? o.. btw... shes just an ordinary girl spent most of her life on high street ... :eek:

6. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

55 w hour? is that wat you were saying? wat does that meean?:confused:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Realistically, as it's about the same as my MBP but with a marginally smaller screen and smaller battery, I'm guessing it'll be similar to the MBPs life of ~3.5 hours or less. Of course you'll have wireless on most of the time, so my guess for the MB battery life pool is 3.5 hours.

You have to pay for that new speed somewhere....

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hold up, weren't you the one that started the "Can I use Apple because my MBP is so hot" thread? Why on EARTH would you want to buy your GF one then?

10. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

He was. He wanted to sue Apple because of it!!

11. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

yes it was me that wanted to sue apple's lol .. but i was wrong, Apple Store ppl was very very friendly, they appologized for the heat and giv me full refund... love the regend store guys. ... but anyway it doesnt stop me buying a pretty little laptop for my girlfriend :p and and and... since its plastic, and with a hopeless graphic chip, i guess it will be much cooler?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I returned my MBP because of heat issues, and as excited as I am about the MBs, I'm not even thinking about buying one until after I see a boatload of great reviews. :)