Buying advice: New iPod.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rueyeet, Oct 28, 2004.

1. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I find myself in a quandry.

I already have a second-gen 10 GB iPod that's perfectly usable. Thing is, I don't use it now that I'm not taking the bus to work anymore, because the best integrated in-car charger/transmitter solutions are all for the dock-connector iPods. Even the fact that my library will shortly become too big for the iPod isn't the emergency it should be, because I hardly bother to sync it anymore. It still gets the full eight hours of battery life, too.

Now, if I bought a new 4G 20 GB iPod, I could get one of the charger/transmitter thingies for it, and the dock/speaker combos like the OnStage, and then I WOULD use it, everywhere, all the time.

So the question is: How do I justify spending $600 for something I'm not using on the theory that if I spent the $600+, I *would* use it? My cheapskate soul resists the idea that I must spend money to make a thing I already essentially have use-FUL, especially when it's perfectly use-ABLE. :(

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

lol. I'm afraid i can't help ya with that one man. However you might be able to convince yourself if you got an iPod dock and used it's line out so you can start using your iPod with your home sterio as well :D

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

doit doit doit doit!
    Sell your current model on eBay on here. Someone will buy it. Then you can get the 20GB 4G for $300, the InMotion system (I found it for $107 at newegg.com, incl shipping), and either the iTrip ($40) or a cassette adapter ($15).
    Whole deal (with trade) might only run you $350 or so.

Now, if you want to get the 40GB Photo iPod...

4. rueyeet thread starter macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I don't have a cassette deck or a home stereo, actually. Who needs a home stereo when you have iTunes? :p :)

It's ironic to be cheap and yet have expensive tastes. I don't just want an iTrip and separate charger, I want one of the doohickeys that does both, and through the dock connector for best sound at that.

It all just comes down to spending the money.....good idea, though, to look for deals on the accessories. I don't think I'll get much for the old iPod, though--it works astoundingly well, but is less than cosmetically perfect and doesn't have the dock connector.

Thanks for the responses. :)

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

just think it is a new apple made toy. problem solved!