Buying advice on video card for dual G4 MDD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PeterPaul, Jun 3, 2005.

1. PeterPaul macrumors newbie

My 2.5-year-old dual G4 came with a GeForce 4600 TI, which is a 128 MB AGP card with both ADC and DVI connectors. I use it to drive two 19" LCD displays at 1280x1024.

I haven't upgraded to 10.4 yet, but when I do, I want a card that supports Core Image, etc. Wouldn't mind better gaming performance, either.

Apple's Core Image page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/) lists the cards that support Core Image.

I'm trying to figure out which of those card(s) will work on my G4, and are worth buying. I can spend whatever it takes -- basically, I want the hottest card I can get.

According to ATI's website, the 9800 Pro Mac SE (256MB) requires a G5. The 9800 Pro (128MB) doesn't have dual digital connectors. The 9600 only has 64MB. As far as I can tell, some of the others are available only as a build-to-order item.

So now I'm wondering if I'm stuck with what I've got. Any suggestions? (Yes, getting a G5 would solve the problem, but that's not an option at the moment.)

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The only cards that fully support core image in an MDD are (as you said) the 9800 and modded 9600 - The modded 9600 does have dual digital outputs - a DVI and an unpowered ADC(which can run a standard DVI monitor with an adapter). Seeing as you already have a GF4 then I'm not sure you'd see much benefit from a 9600 apart from a few ripples in Dashboard. The 9800 would probably give you a general performance boost and is the only other option. To be honest unless you really want/need a core image card I'd stick with what you've got for now and get a killer card in a G5 somewhere down the line.

The GF4 you have is still a nice card - even if it can't do ripples ;)