buying advice, pb? imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joe K, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Joe K macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2005
    i know that a lot of people come here asking the same question, i'm about to swich to apple, i'm an independent video editor an for the last couple of months i've been working on final cut (on a friend's project) and i fell in love with it so i'm leaving premiere and win xp behind, i live in Guatemala and macs here are way more expensive (pb 15" is $3k) and i dont have a big budget so this machine should last 3-4 years, should i buy a pb 15" (or 17") with 1G Ram, 1.67G4? or iMac 20" with 1G ram?

other question can i expand the desktop with an aditional monitor? this is key for my job.
  2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    If you need this for your job and want it to last for the next 3 to 4 years, I'd go with the iMac. It's probably cheaper than the PB too, depending on which model you get.

You can then use the extra money saved to up the RAM or buy another display.

As for screen spanning, it can definitely be done on a PB, but I believe the iMac needs a hack to enable it. I think the program is called Screen Spanning Doctor or something.

Yup. It's called Screen Spanning Doctor. Take a look at the MacWorld article on it.
  3. acedickson macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2004
    I'd recommend the iMac G5 with the afformentioned screen span. Purchase your RAM 3rd party and install it yourself. Don't be gouged by Apple's prices.