Buying advice- PB12" + 2405FPW

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mmoin, Jun 25, 2005.

1. mmoin macrumors regular

I'm about to pull the trigger on what seems to me will be a fantastic setup- a 1.5ghz 12" PB and a Dell 2405FPW 24" display. I plan to use the FPW as my primary desktop display, and to use the PIP and input switching capabilities to also run my digital cable through it. Will probably also be a nice space saver since I am living in a dorm next year and would like to go without a separate TV.

Anyway, my only concern is the 64MB of VRAM supporting the highest resolution on the 2405FPW at a decent refresh rate. Can it do so? Also, is there anything else I've neglected to consider?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Willy S macrumors 6502

I can´t answer your question, but the LCD technology doesn´t have any refresh rates.

3. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

heh, good call. never owned an LCD monitor before.

4. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

remember if you span it effectively cuts your video memory in half.

I have a 12" 1.5 PB and I regularly run spanned to a 1600 x 1200 monitor with no problems. I doubt you would have any problems if you didn't span and may not even if you did.

But with 24 inches, who would want to? :)

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How are you planning on connecting the digital cable to the 2405FPW?

6. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

That's not true, LCDs do have refresh rates (usually between 60 and 70 Hz). They don't matter very much though, because the pixels "stay lit" between cycles, unlike in CRTs, where the pixels "flash" every cycle.

7. Willy S macrumors 6502

Ok. ;)

8. Willy S macrumors 6502

Do you loose any of Tiger´s visual goodies by doing this? I´m thinking about doing the same with my 17" iMac G5 rev A.

9. zach macrumors 65816

zach

just a small warning.

the dell monitor is 24" physically, and 1920x1200 in pixels.

the apple 23" is 23" physically, and 1920x1200 in pixels, to maintain apple's 100 pixels per inch standard density (this density is found on all apple products with the exception of the 14" iBook and the eMac (although I believe it can be reached on the eMac as well.

the result is that if you're used to using apple products, the dell monitor will feel slightly "blockier" or something like that, as the pixels are larger.

note: this is not in any way a plug of the apple 23", i'm just warning you it will feel different than apple monitors/laptops.

10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

hardly noticeable though.

11. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I'm planning to input the digital cable into the 2405fpw as well. That should work also, right?

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Via which connector though? Just curious. Also, what kind of output ports does your digital cable box have?

13. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I'm fairly sure you will need some sort of TV tuner in order to hook up the cable. most college dorms have the standard coax stuff, so you won't be able to directly connect it to the moniter.

14. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Also -- You can't use PiP while using DVI. You'll have to hook the PB up via VGA, which just looks gross compared to DVI.

15. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good call- I appreciate your mentioning that PIP doesn't work with DVI. I suppose I will get an eyetv or something then.

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

You could pick up the 2005FPW instead of the 2405FPW and spend the difference on an EyeTV!

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The specs on the 2405FPW 24" are way superior to the 2005 20"

I am SO happy with my 2405!

18. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Who wouldn't want to?

I never really understood the people who don't span their display - why waste 12in of screen space? :confused:

andy.

19. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Why reduce the life of the internal LCD when you don't have to?

The bulb behind the LCD has a finite lifespan. Every second that you use it shortens the remainder of that lifespan. I could take apart a 2005FPW to replace a bulb ... but I would *not* want to take apart my Powerbook to do the same.

Also -- I've noticed that leaving the internal LCD off helps keep heat to a minimum. :)

20. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

edesignuk must be out this afternoon. If I recall correctly, his rig is a first generation G5 imac, with the ibook monitor spanning hack and a 2005FPW. I think it works well for him. Here is a picture he posted. Scroll down for more discussion. Note that the most vram you could get in the G5 imac was 64 MB-- same as the powerbook-- So I think you'll be fine.

By the way, thanks to edesignuk for setting up MRGoogle-- I could never have found the original post without it.