Buying an Apple refurb.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by plutnicki, Jan 20, 2005.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

Hi folks.

I'm looking to buy an iBook G4 for my brother-in-law and future sister-in-law as a wedding present. While cruising the Apple site, I noticed that they are selling some refurb iBooks at a decent discount ( $200 or so off of a new one).

Anyone purchase one of these "special deals"? Any additional risk associated (actually seems like there would be less, since these systems have been tested twice at least now)? Are they typically downrev (doesn't appear as though they are...)?

For myself, I'd be less concerned, but giving as a gift, makes me a little more nervous.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thx,

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The only minus (aside from the fact they come in standard brown boxes, not the new Mac boxes) is that they, obviously, have been used before, and therefore often have minor scratches, etc. Not always - many are pristine - but often.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

And it would be regiving a gift. Unless they don't care. ;)

4. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I bought a refurb eMac, and it is fine. It has minor scratches on it, but they are hard to see. I would definitely buy another refurb.

5. plutnicki thread starter macrumors regular

On the one hand, I hate to give a gift of a used device. Doesn't seem right somehow. On the other hand, it's an expensive gift and saving $200 helps. Also, they were going to buy one for themselves, and I would recommend that they buy the refurb if they were paying for it...

If it were for me, no problem, because I'm the one to deal with issues.

From the searches I've read thus far, seems that most people are happy with the refurb purchase and any issues have been resolved quickly through Apple. So that bodes well...

Thx,

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Also interesting is that some people have had extras come with their Mac. Like extra RAM, a super drive, etc. Rare, but it happens.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I haven't bought a refurbed Apple (yet, my iMac will be however), but here are some observations that might matter.

I have heard from many people that their refurbed Macs came in the original box. Can't say that is ALWAYS true, but it does happen. Not sure how often, evem, tough to say.

The refurbed system will ship with iLife '04, a new with '05. Unless you can get a student edition, if you want to upgrade it will cost $79.

In general, I have had excellent experience with refurbed electonics. They have somone go over that individual machine to look for defects, problems, etc, and then fix them, usually just by replacing whatever the bad component is with a new one. New products rarely are individually inspected (otherwise why would there be returned refurbs?), but rather have a certain number from each batch pulled and checked.

I don't think that anyone would be upset recieving a refurbed Mac! If you are worried about that, you could save even more money and get them a $800 or $1000 (depending on what you were going to spend in the first palce) gift card for the Apple Store, and let them buy whatever they want with it.

Rob

PS My birthdays next month, can I get an iMac please? :D

8. plutnicki thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks guys.

From what I read here, and elsewhere in the forums, I decided it's worth the risk of a scratch on the case to save a few hundred dollars. That $200 will easily cover a memory upgrade or some peripherals. And if there is an issue with the refurb, the warrantee is still there and it sounds like Apple takes pretty good care of those who have had an issue or two.

I placed the order, knowing the refurbs go quick. Hope they like it!

I did think of the iLife thing, but the webpage for the new iBooks still says iLife '04, so are you sure '05 is shipping with new systems. At any rate, I'll probably get a family pack so I can upgrade my, my wife's, my father-in-laws, and this computer and still have a spare serial number.

Thanks again!

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am going to buy a refurb down the road from Apple. :)

an iMac G5 20" for 1699 USD. :)

a PMG5 dual 2.5GHz for 2599. :)

Very tempting indeed, too bad I don't like the water cooler idea.

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I love my refurb. It looked brand new when I got it and I saved a bunch of $$. We also have a G4 MDD refurb here at work and it looks brand-new as well. I went over both with a fine-toothed comb. I would say, go get one. They are still covered by a 1-year warranty.

:)

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You gotta love that Apple is making a profit on the refurbs as well. ;) :)

No one says "you have a Mac, was it new or refurb" so who cares. Though all my Mac's have been new. ;) :)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have been seriously considering purchasing an iMac G5 as a backup. Currently it's a iBook G3. The small foot print would be an advantage. Will have to purchase a family pack of iLife '05 so that wouldn't be a problem.

13. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

You definately made the right decision on the refurb. It would be nice to have such a great relative that would spend that much money on me regardless of it being new or refurbished!! It comes with the same warranty. Tell em to buy the AppleCare and it will never make any difference anyway.

14. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Let's see how inexpensive the Mac Mini Refurbs turn out to be... :)

15. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

by the way, doesn't apple have the iLife Up-To-Date 05 program? go to:www.apple.com/ilife
    and enter the ibook's serial number and you should be able to get it for $19.95. Anyone correct me if i'm wrong :)

16. iPegboy macrumors regular

good choice man, i bought a refirbed G3 iBook 600 Mhz.. came with an extra stick of RAM much cheaper. I bought it in 2002 and it's still running strong. don't know when i'll upgrade, but i've certainly never had a problem.

also have an refribished iPod (1st gen.). it's still running strong.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The up to date program specifically says new computers, and it says so in a manner than would likely preclude a refurbed machine. I COULD be wrong, might be worth trying, and plead ignorance if they ask, but I'm guessing you'll have to pay full price for it.

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The refurbs say (and do) come with whatever software was originally bundled with the machine. So in this case, iLife '04 and 10.3.something. When Tiger comes out, Rev. A iMacs will come with Panther still. The price will probably drop by then, of course, to make it an attractive deal even with the Tiger upgrade, but you'll have to buy it seperately, along with iLife '05.

Rob

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Why not the Mac mini as a backup?

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

If it doesnt come with the orginal iBook box, you can find one on ebay for like 10-20 dollars, brand new, or go to the Apple store and ask if they have an empty one that they dont need from like a demo machine. Lemme know how it all goes for you! I've been looking at purchasing a refurb Mac Mini when I get the money and they come refurbed. Thanks!

21. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Give the Mac mini a month to a month and a half for a refurb to show up. :)

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

though with the margins that Apple seems to want on this model, don't expect much below EDU pricing.

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, I am guessing, based on other refurb markdowns, $429, or 14% off the retail price. Still a great deal, though!

Rob

24. TID macrumors newbie

$200.00 bucks isn't a lot off. When a line is refreshed, retailers are credited for remaining stock and it usually sells not only below their credit but belown their rebated cost. sooo...Check retailers for a newly boxed machine if you're concerned about the cosmetics of it's package.

otherwise, refurbs are often tuned up with better replacement parts then they originally shipped with. And whattver issues it had, are fixed. Especially an apple refurbed by apple. No doudt, it'll work as well as a new unit (assuming it's a recent model).

25. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i got my girlfriend a 20gb ipod for her birthday from the refurb store - it was about £50 cheaper (that's about $100). it's perfect, was in fact a cancelled order from the online store, so was sealed in a new box and everyfink!

brilliant. if you see something on the refurb store you like - jump at it!