Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rollobancher, Apr 12, 2004.
I am getting the 12" 40 gig HD , 256 mb Ram,
Should I wait til the updates or go for it ?
Well it is my guess that the updates wil not occur until WWDC in late june. I say if you want one go for it. I bit the bullet and got a refurb powerbook. I have yet to regret my decsion. Granted I have really only had it a few days, but you know what I mean!
typical macrumors comment on the way...
dont forget to max out the RAM... and not from the apple store or you'll get ripped off hardcore...
If youre buying off the Apple Store Online use this code in this thread to save 30 bucks off http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=66967
The guy that I talked to gave me 50 bucks off if I order though Him !
I wont be able 2 max out the Ram for a couple of months but i will not be running any CPU or memory intense any time soon so i dont think that will matter that MUCH !
I have my printer ,(
) Shared on My Pc , Would this work with my iBook ?
I think you would enjoy the iBook, and it may be until June before it gets updated, it is a guessing game. Most printers should work on with the Mac. If Panther doesn't have the drive build-in then most likely you can find a open source CUPS ppd for your printer.
I got that same ibook, and I absolutely love it. You won't be sorry! I can run Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design, Acrobat, you name it, and all on 256mb ram.
I'll probably max the ram out later, but Panther's use of resources is way way more efficient than 9.x was. If you minimize an applicaiton, it's like it doesn't exist, so I never close anything. The size is perfect too. I thought the 12" screen would present a problem, but nothing so far.
Again, a great machine for the money!
Apple charges $150 for 512 mb -- including installation. Crucial.com charges $123 + delivery + you have to install it yourself.
For many people, installing a stick of ram is no big deal, but for people who don't feel like peeling open their brand new Mac, the extra $20 is well worth it.
If you need the computer now, don't wait. I was facing the same question you are back in February. If I'd waited, I'd still be waiting.
As it is, I'm enjoying my 12-inch iBook. Best Mac I've ever owned.
I'm happy to hear that the G4 iBooks seem to be a winner... The G3 Logic Board debacle damn near had me going back to Windowshttp://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=793858#....
How bad do you need it?
How will you feel in July if they put a 1Ghz in the 12", better graphics card, etc etc for the same price or less (given the eMac price drop). If the answer is not so bad, then you have found what you need now rather than waiting an unknown amount of time for an upgrade...
Im thinking of selling my 14" 933 for a 12" 800 with 60GB HD and Bluetooth(if my 14" had BT I would probably keep it) because its allot more compact,im just worried about the speed difference...Will I notice the 133MHz difference?
It will be fast enough < i have tryed it out at the apple store and it was way fast enough for the apps that i am going to be running ! Just email , word proccesing, adobe cs, and internet, warcraft 3 ! I wont be sad if they upgrade them in July like you said "MIGHT" happen !
And plus people are still running there Ibooks that they bought 3 years ago with Panther on them !
PLUS it is an APPLE !
I am so stoked !
Just got me An iBook 12" !
I just ordered my iBook 12" 40 gig HD , 265 ram (soon to me 640mb), at 11:09 Pm
I am so stoked!
I talked to this way cool guy from apple, I hope i like My iBook as much as I like the customer service !
I dont know How i am going to wait all of those days for it to ship to my house ????
Congrats on your purchase! Im sure you will love it.
I doubt you would notice any significant difference on day to day tasks. Given that you already have an iBook, I suspect you don't have an urgent reason to change. It may we worth hanging on for a few weeks for updates, as the new 12" when it comes will be speedbumped to at least 933 MHz. I know two people with the 12" iBook, and they both love it and say that it is a quick notebook.
Thanks for the advice...If I wait the value of mine might drop allot lower then what I can sell it for now,I really like the 14" the size doesnt bother me and the screen is really nice but I wish it had internal Bluetooth and it couldnt hurt to have a smaller computer...Then again this is my desktop replacement.
In the UK there is a 10-15 day wait for both iBooks and PowerBooks whereas everything else can be shipped same/1-2 days!
I hate apple's waiting game!!!
Are the 12" iBook quiet? I couldent really tell at the apple store cuz of all of the talking and stuff !
Well I know my fifteen inch powerbook is super quiet. The only thing I can really hear is the harddrive.
what about this Monday Update ?
What do you guys think about this monday update that Macrumors is talking about ?
Its not long to find out if its true. It makes sense to see new iBooks as well for the education buyers. Speculated specs for same or lower price could be very attractive.
I am very confident about monday/tuesday. I believe monday will be it . . .we should see speed bumps and slight price decreases . . . this time its for real.
The G3 iBooks are pretty quiet and I guess that the G4 ones are two. The only noise comes from the HD and the fan. If you're not doing processor/HD intensive stuff, the fan wont even come on.
I typing this on my iBook, and the only noise it's making is the keyboard.
Cancel my ORDER?
Hey Guys should I cancel my order for my iBook ?
Will the updates be that big ?