Buying an imac - should I wait for the price to go down?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applequestions, Dec 6, 2006.

1. applequestions macrumors newbie

Dec 6, 2006
    I want to buy a 17-in dvd iMac which is currently priced at $1200. Will the price go down in a few weeks once the new apple products comes out in January?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I guess we really don't know that any new products will be released in January, so I'd recommend you buy it now :).
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Plus, prices don't typically come down. Apple tends to release new products/features into the same price point so the window of opportunity is potentially small.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
  5. WhiteShadow macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    a referb or a used form the macrumors market place is the best way to go, maybe get some extras; always verify the apple care is still available.

prices won't fall as much as you would like them to once the new ones come out.
  6. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Prices wont go down anytime soon, as they have just been dropped on the Core2Duo iMacs.

Sure, get it now! :)
  7. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The iMac configurations currently available are already a very good deal.

Now if you're willing to wait for the next revision, you might be able to take advantage of closeout prices on the current models, but you could be waiting
    until spring.

If your budget is tight, then it's probably best for you to wait until Apple releases the OS X 10.5 Leopard models.

We should all know more about that release date at MWSF in January.
  8. carman63 macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    I second this. Watch the refurbs, find one that matches what you want and buy it! :)

I saved $300 on my 24" iMac this way, and it only took a few weeks of patience. Plus, sometimes you get free upgrades on the refurbs!
  9. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2006
    Others have mentioned refurb store. Prices there will give you some idea what price drop might be like if form changes. Really depends how much you want it in next month and how much you believe form change will occur in January.
  10. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    Refurbished iMac 17-inch 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
    512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Original price: $1,299.00
    Your price: $949.00

Just found it on the apple site and this deal is an amazing one.
  11. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    But watch out: For products that don't ship anymore, the "original price" is the last price the item sold for; today you might get a better machine for less money. Always compare "your price" with the price of a similar brand new item.