Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontpanic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
i currently have a 14 g4 1.33 ibook with 768mb ram, would the step up to a 17" imac be really worth it at this point in time, i don't do anything massively intensive but was thinking it would be nice to play a few games on it, i only play football manager on my ibook

would there really be a greatly noticeable difference in speed? why do men have nipples? would i benefit from 3 inches extra of screen space?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
A Core Duo 2 iMac will not only perform much better, but give you much needed storage and dedicated graphics for your gaming.

Your iBook will still be perfect for basic portable needs, so you'l have the best of both worlds.

Make sure you buy enough RAM 1 GB min, 2 GB preferred since Apple is actually
quite reasonable for the 2 GB upgrade.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
The 17" will definitely be a bit snappier and provide for greater storage needs. The iBook will be perfect for web browsing, word processing, etc. when you need it.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If...... you can swing the difference by saving a bit longer, go for the 20" or 24"

17" Wide Screen is fine for getting things done, but it's a whole different experience working on a larger display, especially if you're doing any page layouts
or working with larger media and control surfaces.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cschreppel said:
The 17" will definitely be a bit snappier...

A bit snappier? I laughed out loud when I read that! The iMac Core 2 Duo is comparable to a dual G5 (at least), the iBook is a POS compared to the iMac.

So OP sure go buy the 17" if you want it's not just an upgrade it's 1 HELL OF AN UPGRADE!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
FFTT said:
If...... you can swing the difference by saving a bit longer, go for the 20" or 24"

17" Wide Screen is fine for getting things done, but it's a whole different experience working on a larger display, especially if you're doing any page layouts

Hear hear. You can have a lot of windows/apps open which increases productivity. Right now on my Dell, i'm watching a Video whilst composing a presentation, replying mails and IMing collegues at the same time.......you cant do that on a 17".

woodenturkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2006
was this worth it

I just bought an ibook g3 600mhz w/airport and OS X tiger for $330, did i over pay? I looked allover the net and this was the best i could find i.e with airport, and the ram.

dontpanic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
FFTT said:

i will go and look at the difference sometime....20" seems awful big to me

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
If you are used to an iBook than you will find a 17" screen with higher resolution gives you much more screen space than you had before. Certainly go look at the models yourself, but unless you use applications that really demand room you may find that the 17" iMac is enough. I did.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The biggest difference, as others have said will be the screen size/resolution. Go for the 20" or even the 24" if you can, working on those huge great big screens is beautifully comfortable...

@woodenturkey - no I don't think you did overpay for that iBook, I would pay the same!

dontpanic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
but i don't really do anything that needs massive amounts of screenspace

i don't think anyway

why are my letters appearing so slowly :( stupid mac

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
dontpanic said:
but i don't really do anything that needs massive amounts of screenspace

i don't think anyway

why are my letters appearing so slowly :( stupid mac

I just bought a 17" iMac core duo for my gf. She does web design and photoshop, and she hasn't felt the screen too confining at all. [And best of all, I got my 20" ACD back! ;)]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.