Buying an Intel Mac Mini - Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GlynJones, Mar 17, 2006.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hello all,
    I'm at a bit of a quandary.

I want to replace my Windows Media Centre PC that sits in the living room as it keeps missing recordings and locking up. Also it's a pain because all my music is in iTunes on my G5 Powermac and I have to convert them to WMP to run under the Media Centre front end, which is always a pain.

My dilemma. I want to replace it with an Intel Mac Mini but I am a bit short of funds at the moment. I can afford a Core Solo with 1gb memory. I can use the bluetooth keyboard and mouse from the Media Centre. Also I have a USB2 enclosure that matches the Mac Mini so I can take the 120gb hard drive out of the Media Centre and put back the 40Gb original into this machine. I plan to hook this up to my 26" LCD Sharp Aquos via VGA. The thing is will it really be powerful enough?

The biggest HD resolution I can get on the TV is 720p. I will be using a USB EyeTV Cinergy for freeview so I don’t envisage at the moment using HD content but maybe later on at 720p. I don't need a DVD burner as I have one in my Powermac. Photos and music I plan to stream wirelessly from the G5 as well.

Should I buy one or hold out for a Core Duo? If the Solo matches my requirements then should I get one of them instead?

I need some guidance on this so I thought id consult the experts :D

Thanks in advance.

Glyn.

2. asencif macrumors 6502

The core solo does a nice job of playing DVD's and HD 720p content, however if you ever decide on going for 1080i/p then you will be out of luck. Having said that I don't know how adventurous you are as it is possible to swap out the processor on a core solo and upgraded with a duo core which will come down in pricing in the coming months. Also, I would use DVI to connect it to the Aquos LCD. So 1080 aside, the core solo will do the job and especially since you won't really be using it as a computer much since you have a PM G5.

3. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,
    I have to use the VGA as I don't have a DVI connection on the TV :(

I am always tinkering with PC's as I usually build my own so upgrading hold no fears.

Mmmmm very tempted :)

4. asencif macrumors 6502

Then this might even workout better for you. Get the solo because you are not interested in HD 1080 now and when you are you can have fun upgrading the processor on it. The prices on the Core Duo will be going down in the next few months and really get cheaper by the fall as Merom and Conroe start to come out.

5. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn you asencif,
    I was just specking out the machine and found a discount code when your reply came and I hit the order button. :eek:

Oh well new Mac arriving in 3 days :cool:

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Discount code? Tell us more...

7. Shaker macrumors member

Shaker

given the cost difference, I would get the dual core in the mini. It will help given the mini's other limitations.

8. asencif macrumors 6502

I take it you got the Core Duo mini? Hey, I know you will be happy and want to blame me... :)

9. zami macrumors regular

I don't know about code but I got £50.00 off by complaining about the terrible courier companies they use and saying I wanted to pay cash for an upgraded machine at the Regent Street shop.

Very nice and polite man on the phone, I just hope this time it isn't a three hour round trip to Lynx on the far side of Muswell Hill to collect an ADC/DVI connector that they can't manage to deliver. Lynx had the nerve to tell me they didn't have a depot anymore down here in South London because of the thieving knowing that I'm from South London; B*st*rds.

10. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

No I went for the Solo, If it runs like pants then I'll either stick a duo in it later on or put it on eBay and get a revision b one when they come out.

Hopefully be here later this week. :p

The discount codes can be found on this very web site £23 saving. :D

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

i would imagine cost of core duo == cost of 2gb ram (about $200 on newegg), but what you'd get out of the 2gb would be better than the core duo..

My mini ran like total **** with 2x256mb ram and an intel core duo. Everything was visibly lagging (rosetta or not) and weird. Added the two gigs, and now things are as smooth as butter.

12. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've spec'ed the machine with 1 gb of memory so hopefully that should be enough.

The little machine will be used as a Media Center so hopefully should be powerful enough. Well I'll find out later this week.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

14. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure as it's built to order.

Knowing Apple it will probably be 2x512.

15. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Dispatch time put back to April 3rd :mad:

Decided in a fit of madness to cancel the order and get the Core Duo instead. :D

Dispatch date on this is 31st March but no doubt that will be put back as well.

Reason for changing from a Solo to a Duo is another month another pay day. Well that's how I'll put it to my girlfriend. As you can gather this is man logic :confused:

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

ouch! i assumed the mini had two options for the 1gb ram - 2x512 and 1x1gb, but I guess not...holy **** they charge a lot of money for that..

core duo, nice :D *high-fives*

17. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, the Duo makes more sense for the long term as it won't get clunky as time and software advances.

Just a bit cheesed off I have to wait so long. Also takes 7 days to be delivered so I suspect it's coming from China.

All good things come to those that wait.