Buying an iPad In a Parking Lot is a Bad Idea

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grand Prairie, Texas is experiencing an epidemic of fake Apple products -- but not the kind from a fake Apple Store. The details of this scam come from the Grand Prairie police department:
    The silver Chrysler 300 in the above picture was allegedly used in one of the offenses.

Anyone who has information about the suspects should call Grand Prairie Crime Stoppers at 972-988-8477 or the Grand Prairie "Tip Line" at 972-237-8877.

Article Link: Buying an iPad In a Parking Lot is a Bad Idea

2. macrumors member

Painted wood... hilarious.

3. macrumors member

You know, if you are dumb enough to get ripped off by this scam, you might possibly deserve it.

4. macrumors demi-god

soco

Agreed that they all deserve it. Just like the dopes that died from Irene by swimming or surfing during it.

Bunch of numbnuts.

5. macrumors regular

LOL That's up there with the Wallet Inspector.

But let's consider the 'victim' thing here.

Who in their right minds would a) buy from some dodgy guys in a parking lot for a 1/3 of the price and b) not inspect the item first?

If you believed the product to be genuine, then you're basically admitting you'd buy stolen goods. No way could you say you thought it would be anything else, like a legitimate sale. And if you didn't check the iThing... well, then you're an idiot.

So... in a way... the only people losing here are gullible idiots who would have bought stolen items.

6. macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's odd that they use the word "victim". This is simply one criminal tricking a dumber criminal. The only real victim here is the police officer who has to take the report while keeping a straight face and without making fun of the "victim". :)

7. macrumors 6502a

al256

Aren't they at risk of getting shot? I mean it is Texas.

8. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would have asked for some ID, so that I could write a CHECK...lol :p

9. macrumors 603

Warbrain

There are a lot of fools in this world.

10. macrumors member

Just got a $300 iPad from Blacks. About to open it up and hook it up to my computer. A white guy sold it to me in the Blacks Hardware parking lot. :)

11. macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Truly, there's one born every minute.

12. macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Pssst, I have a Thousand Dollars here. You can have it for Three Hundred.

13. macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

P-P-P-Powerbook

14. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the saying, P T Barnum ;)

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

I would only buy an iPad from a car trunk if I could test it on the spot, and if it had almost no bloodstains.

16. macrumors regular

Unless it's shellfish.
    Then it's nothing but a tasty & delish om-nom-itunity! X-D

17. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

If they were fooled by these guys their gun is probably an overly-ripe banana.

18. macrumors 6502a

MacNewsFix

I'd like to feel some sympathy for the victims, but I'm just finding it impossible. Seriously, how many signs does one need?

19. macrumors 6502

You know what they say... If you outlaw guns then only outlaws will have guns. If people want to kill someone there are a million ways that have nothing to do with guns. Personally I'd rather be on the same level as the criminals.

20. macrumors 6502

Slix

Wait, so I'm not supposed to buy expensive products from random people in a parking lot? :eek:

21. MiWall81, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

macrumors member

This is funny! People oh people these days...

Wait a second... What was all that "1 in a million talk..."

Dumb and Dumber

22. macrumors 68030

Pssst, hey buddy. Your'e a moron!

23. macrumors 6502

You can't cheat an honest man.--W.C. Fields

24. Guest

toddybody

Sure it's a tad disappointing...but if Apple released a piece of wood with it's logo, they'd charge 300.00 for it too. Seems fair to me

25. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

God some pepole are fools.
    I wonder if anyone paid them with forged money?