buying an ipod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bluemoon, Jan 31, 2005.

1. bluemoon macrumors member

i have been toying with the idea of buying an ipod for a while..but... the advice here was to wait.... so am now struggling between buying or waiting... any idea what in the world am i waiting for?:p

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

buy one. you'll be happy that you did. waiting is stupid, if you want something, get it.

3. Badradio macrumors 6502

You don't work for a credit card company do you..?

Bluemoon - hang fire until after today/tomorrow. If they bring out a 5gig iPod mini or a 20gig iPod photo, you might be able to pick up one of the outgoing models from a reseller and save a decent amount. Or you can get the latest model with the most features/capacity for the same price - or less - than the previous model. They're updating the online store at the moment so there might be something soon.

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

No iPod changes @ first glance...
    waiting vs buying is a crap decision.

What iPod or you planning on buying?

Cheers

5. Badradio macrumors 6502

I'd generally agree with you but, c'mon... 1 day? These things aren't made out of ice you know.
    Today's unexpected update doesn't rule out the chance of further updates tomorrow. The interim upgrades of the pbs were probably held back until now to keep the focus on the Mac mini (I can't think of any other reason to wait this long for so small a bump) so the same might be true for the iPod mini and the Shuffle.

6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Better to wait 1 day than to feel bagged after buying one to soon indeed.
    The longer u wait, the closer the (next) updates will get, but that's a street without an end.

Would they update the PB and the iPod on a different day? Why not do these at the same time? just for exposure?
    Then again, what's a day... you've been toying with the idea for a while so i guess u can hold just a bit longer.

Kinda glad i'm not in the market for a iPod ;)

Cheers

7. bluemoon thread starter macrumors member

hmmm.. was thinking of getting the 20g ipod... hmm... maybe.. guess i will wait for another couple of months.... hmm...

8. efoto macrumors 68030

One day here, one day there, next thing we know its two weeks later, still no updates, and still no iPod :p

I did this with the PBooks. In retrospect I should have ordered one back in October of early November when I was interested. Everyone said wait, updates around the corner! Then nothing....oh, MWSF, wait til that, for sure updates there! Nothing. Wait a little longer and bing, here they are. So after more than three months of waiting, I will finally get one in the second week of February.

Unless they is strong and compelling (very much so of both) evidence saying there will be an update tomorrow, buy it today.

9. zim macrumors 65816

zim

This is the argument that I keep having with my wife. She wants a iPod mini desperately.. like a sickness but she won't buy one because she heard, via me from macrumors that there would be an update. I keep telling her to just buy it, it will make her happy. Right now she has my old 2G iPod and it depresses her because of its size compared to my newer iPod... so this is totally not a needed purchase, purely about happiness.

My opinion, buy the iPod. The model that is out is fantastic, you will love it.

10. efoto macrumors 68030

If she is your wife can't you buy it for her, present it as a gift, and then come away as the hero? You know she wants it, you know you are right in telling her to purchase now instead of waiting, and you know she is stubborn because she is her (no offense meant, just my experience with women *duck). Be her iPod in shinning armour (somehow that just has to apply)