Buying an MBP now - quick question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FatGolfer, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. FatGolfer macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    #1
    Hello All

    I want to buy a new MBP today. The thing that is holding me back is Leopard and iLife 07. I dont want to have to buy both with the upgrade. Does anyone know if iLife 07 will be packaged as part of the Leopard upgrade?

    I know a hardware upgrade could be around the corner but I have waited over a year already because I am always waiting for Next Tuesday and there are no guarantees about when that will happen but I am concerned about spending a lot upgrading my software in a month or two.

    What do you think all? Is iLife included? Am I making a poor decision by buying now?

    Thanks for your advice.
     
  2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #2
    Your making a poor choice in my opinion. The computer itself is a good buy, but plan on shelling out AT LEAST $100 more on software, but thats BEST CASE, your more likely to shell out over $200 for Leopard and iLife 07, and your going to want them one way or another. Also, some of the hardware enhancements rumored to come, are in my opinion worth waiting for as well, but not as much as the software is.

    If it was not for the software, it would be an OK choice.
     
  3. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

    Cult Follower

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2007
    Location:
    North Dakota
    #3
    I would wait for the release of Leopard at this point. If you've waited for a year, two months won't be too hard.
     
  4. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    #4
    Thank you for your advice. May I ask when, roughly, you expect to see Leopard?
     
  5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #5
    I would suggest waiting if you can. Leopard is due out sometime in the "Spring" so that could be in a morth or maybe two. It won't be too long so you may as well wait. As far as the hardware goes, the system is powerful now and will serve you for years to come. I would just wait it out for at least Leopard if you can. I will consider buying a BlackBook after the hardware upgrades, Leopard and iLife 07 all come out. I know I will probably be waiting until mid to end of summer but my Thinkpad X60 and desktop system are serving me well so I'm ok waiting. As the other are saying, I would hold out for at least another month or two... even though I'm sure it is hard ;)
     
  6. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #6
    Tiger was released in April, so wait till end of April?
     
  7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
  8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

    TheAnswer

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2002
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #8
    Unless your current computer just isn't enough for your current workload, I would wait until the revamped Santa Rosa MacBook Pros come out and are shipping with Leopard and iLife 07 preinstalled. I would think this would happen by mid-June or perhaps a little later.
     
  9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #9
    My guess is late May, early June.
     
  10. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    #10
    Thank you for the advice all.

    I will need to buy the Family pack upgrade anyway as I have have two other Macs in the household so Leopard pre-installed is not a big issue but if iLife 07 is not part of the Leopard upgrade, and a hardware update is happening in two months, then I think I will wait for a while longer.
     
  11. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2006
    #11
    Thus far, iLife has not been a free upgrade/a part of Mac OS X, it is separate and has retailed for $79. I agree with everyone else, you should definitely wait. If you are an educator or college student (which I doubt you are since you have 2 other Macs) but if you are, OS X is usually only $69 w/ the education discount so 2 boxes of that would be cheaper than the $199 for the family pack...
     
  12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

    Lancetx

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #12
    When the C2D was first released by Intel, it was 2-3 months later before the MBP received them. So if you're holding out for Santa Rosa, I certainly wouldn't look for that showing up in the MBP before early July at best. Just because Intel is announcing Santa Rosa in May doesn't mean it will be available right away. It takes some time to ramp up the kind of volume production required to release a new MBP revision.

    As for Leopard, it'll likely be here at least by May. iLife '07 will be separate though, it won't be included with Leopard (unless you buy a new system at that time of course). If you buy a system prior to their release, you'll have to buy both Leopard and iLife '07 separately later, and that'll likely cost around $200 for both.
     
  13. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    #13
    Thanks again.

    I am able to utilise a student discount for the two existing Macs so based on the comments above, I think my plan is to; wait until Leopard and iLife 07 are pre-installed and then buy my MBP whether or not a hardware update has happened; at that time buy two Leopard upgrades for my existing machines on my student discount.

    Looks like a bit of a longer wait but my 12" PB will hopefully be sufficient for another couple of months.
     
  14. utsavtalwar macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    #14
    urgent

    hi all

    its my bday next week and i was planning to buy a mac book pro 17'
    myself..

    im ready to buy leopard and install it whenever it is out hopefully i might just be entitled to an upgrade..(can you upgrade to leopard without losing data just like windows)?

    and as for ilife wont it already ship with leopard because i read that ilife 06 ships with a new mbp.

    my only worries which i ve checked at a lot of places and found nothing is that will there be a hardware upgrade at wwdc??

    i think there is going to be cuople of them but not with the 17" high end mbp..

    please help asap

    cheers

    utsav
     
  15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #15
    The retail copy of Leopard will NOT include iLife 07. The reason you get iLife 06 with Tiger on macs is because that is what comes preloaded on new macs... not because it comes with OSX.

    As for the hardware updates, you can be sure that Apple will lag months behind everyone else in getting the new chips into their computers. This seems to be their trend with the Intel chips :cool:
     
  16. Shaker macrumors member

    Shaker

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #16
    If they are going to announce in two weeks with Adobe's CS3, then you'd probably get it for free.
     

Share This Page