Buying and Apple laptop advice request

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by R.Youden, Aug 13, 2006.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Hi everyone. OK I have been dipping my toe in and out of this for the past few months but here is the situation:

I have been given a brand new MBP 1.83GHz etc... by work for £150 (some tax thing). I really like the PowerBook 12" that I have at the moment but it feels a bit long in the tooth compared to the new MB and MBP so I wouldn't mind the upgrade. Now here are the options as I see them.

1) Keep the MBP and sell the PowerBook and my PowerMac and use the MBP as my primary computer or upgrade to the 2.16GHz MBP with the money from the two computer sales.

2) Sell the MBP for around £1100 (I think this is a fair price) and buy a MB for aorund £900 and keep the difference. Sell the PowerBook and Power Mac (maybe get £1000 for both) and put that money towards a MacPro.

My main use for these computers would be the usual iLife stuff, Office, the odd game and media centre (but to a 20" dell not a TV at this moment).

So as far as I can see these are the advantages:

1) Get a top of the range laptop, everthing in one place, MBP can dual monitor with no problems.

2) MB is a lot smaller and lighter. I can put money towards a MacPro eventually. The only difference between MBP and MB is graphics card and monitor, neither of which I am bothered about.

At the moment I am going towards option 2, what are your suggestions.

Thanks.

2. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Gee you were given a MBP?? SWEET I'd keep it.

3. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

If you can get away with it, I'd personally go with the MacBook-Mac Pro arrangement. If you need a powerful laptop, keep the MBP and re-evaluate what money you have/will have and what you need.

Whatever you do, I think a Desktop-Laptop combo is always helpful to have.

4. MikeNemat macrumors regular

I'm going to agree with the macbook + mac pro sometime in future idea.

The macbook will serve you fine if you have been using a 12" powerbook and have been pleased. The only specification differences as you said are the screen and the graphics card, and if that doesn't matter, then a macbook is the best choice.

5. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

The only thing which I noticed was the MBP with the spec I will be getting only sold for £850 on eBay which was a lot less than I thought, is this the normal trend for these machines?

Also how will the MacBook compare to my PowerMac in my sig?