buying Apple. No seriously (stock). I want advice..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EssentialParado, Nov 3, 2005.

1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I've been wanting to invest in Apple for a while now, but no matter how many times I search on google, I can't find any help for someone like me.

Has anyone here invested in Apple? How can I do it? How much will it cost? Can I do it easily online?

I would especially be interested to hear of any UK Apple stock-holders.

Regards,
    -Luke

2. tykles macrumors member

I don't know how it works in the UK, but Stateside, you can just open an account with a place like Scottrade or schwab, and they'll charge a commission fee from $7-$13 per trade. You type in how many shares you want, and you buy em. the trade usually goes through within a few minutes.

Here are a few places I found by googling "uk stock trading"

https://uk.etrade.com/e/t/uk/landingpage
    http://www.stocktrade.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

3. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

We bought shares of Apple way back when it was 14 bucks a share. Recently, we sold some of them and used the money to buy an iMac. So yea, it was worth it for us at least.

4. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I've got a few shares just as a novelty. I doubt I will be making any serious amounts of money off it any time soon though. ;)

5. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

tykles - thanks a lot. Yes, that is very helpful!

MacFan25863 - heh, lucky bastard. I once did a virtual trading game online and made $3mil in 18 months. So I've been meaning to try it for real =D

Do you know if you get charged yearly to 'hold' these shares. or only charged for transaction?

6. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

I use Ameritrade and there is no charge if your account meets a minimum dollar amount. I think it's about $2000 at Ameritrade.

7. tykles macrumors member

you should not get charged for shares once you own them. Brokerages make money from sales commissions. That can change with private brokers, frequent traders, and people with large accounts who are making substantial income. In those cases, there is usually a percentage of the account value charged or a flat annual fee, and all trading etc is included.
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I don't have it quite right.

8. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

it depends... some banks will charge you a yearly management fee (for ex. 1%), especially for foreign stock, while online 'discount' brokers usually just charge per transaction.

For the UK, check out http://www.fool.co.uk/brokers/brokers.htm?NavLoc=LN&NavFrom=home&NavTo=brokers for a comparison of online brokers.

9. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh ok. That's all good then. So long as my new credit card's limit is over £4000 I will be definitely investing heavily in Apple and probably Yahoo!

Thanks for the help guys. Continue to discuss Apple stock/shares in this thread if you like :D

-Luke

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I bought 40 shares of Apple at $41.00/share, and now it is at $62, so I have made over 50% on my investment. I am quite happy!

I used Ameritrade.

11. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Just curious, why Yahoo?

13. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Oooh, the guy with the sexy avatar replied in MY thread! You're almost famous to us outsiders ^^;;

Anyway, why Yahoo.. Yes, well they were very good to me with my virtual portfolio. Plus I can only see them getting bigger. Many people actually don't regard Yahoo as much now - "what? Yahoo are still around? I thought Google killed them off a long time ago..." - But they actually bring in much more revenue than Google because of their many other projects aside from just the search engine.

-Luke

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yikes! Please, don't buy stocks on credit, and not especially if you are a noob investor. This is a great way to get seriously burnt!

As far as this being a good time to buy Apple, I don't really know -- but as somebody who's held shares in Apple since 1997, I am much more seriously thinking about selling than buying, not only because I've already made an obscene 1200% return on investment, but because I remember what happened five years ago. I remember it all too well...

15. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Buy the stock, but not on credit.

Open a trading account, and have fun.

I've been purchasing their stock over the last 5-6 years. Didnt actually purchase any apple products till just this year.

I'd like to by some more :D (both stock and products)

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's only fun when you make money. ;)

What I remember all to well was Apple closing one afternoon in September 2000 at $60.00 and opening the next morning at $30.00. Trust me, losing tens of thousands overnight is not fun. Be careful out there!

17. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

The cheapest reputable on-line share broker in the UK is HoodlessBrennan http://www.hoodlessbrennan.com. They charge a flat rate of £7 per deal. You have to register with them, and set up an on-line account. Then transfer some funds to it, say, from your bank and you're set to buy (may take a few days to get it set up though). They pay a small interest rate on account deposits, so if you transfer some money and then decide not to buy for a while, you're making a little bit while you wait.
    Is it the right time to buy Apple while they're so high? Might be worth waiting for a hiccup.

18. gcyc macrumors newbie

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Definitely the best advice on this thread.

If you're serious about investing, don't think about buying stock until you have at least 3 months income saved up (your cash reserve for unexpected expenditure, don't touch unless you absolutely have to), then think about investing any surplus over that. If you're young enough you can afford to make a few mistakes as long as you don't try to invest money you don't have.

It's hardly worthwhile either unless you have a couple thousand to invest, unless it's just that you want to own some Apple stock.

20. freddy11 macrumors newbie

Just remember the key to making money in stocks is buy low and sell high. Unlike most of the masses who buy when it is going up and sell when it is going down. More difficult than buying right is selling right. Just remember one missed estimate (wall streets estimate not apple's) and the stock will be punished. You need to be able to withstand some down periods, this is what makes buying on credit a no-no. I'm hoping the ride is not over yet though.

21. gcyc macrumors newbie

Please don't think that is the only way to make money from stocks/shares. A lot of people buy high yield stock, which offers attractive dividends. I'm not too sure on how much Apple returns to shareholders and how often, but that is another (and safer) alternative to doing the trading game.

Also I don't think Apple's share price is worth investing in now, in my opinion the price is about what they are worth. See what happens first.

22. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

oh, so THAT'S how to make money...OK I've been going about this all wrong

:rolleyes: :)

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And don't forget to buy on the rumor and sell on the news! :p

24. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Whats the concensis of what apple will reach on this current trend? Im thinking about $64-$66. I will probaly sell at that point. baught it at $51 that will give me a 30% yield.

25. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Yep, I nearly said that in my previous post. And along with that is to cut out the 'emotion' factor. It's all very well holding stock in an uber-cool hi-tech company like Apple, but like most high-tech companies they have particular problems which make life difficult. Not least of which is that they trade mostly in dollars, do most of their buying in the far-east, make use of the far-east labour market and have a significant customer base in Europe as well as the US. All of these factors make predictions very difficult, and may explain why investment companies don't have a high %age of tech stocks in their holdings.