Buying apple stock...pre or post MWSF?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sjjordan, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2003
    United States
    I'm planning on buying some stock in apple, and was going to before MWSF starts tomorrow, but with the screenless ipod, it sounds like the market will react the way many of us did: with horror.

Also, I know apples quarterly earnings announcement on wednesday will factor in and hopefully raise stocks again. What do you think?

Right now: I'm planning on waiting, as I think stocks will drop due to the "disappointing" flash ipod (which I think will probably be a huge success) and then buy them tomorrow afternoon to catch the quarterly earnings announcement wave.

Think that's a good idea, bad idea...I'd love some further advise.

Can't wait till tomorrow!
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    if i recall correctly stocks never really jump because of these expos. Due to the rumor sites, little is actually a surprise for most people, I mean CNN had an article about the headless imac .... i doubt the price will change by more than a dollar in either direction tomorrow.
  3. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Texas, USA
    What about the $4.50 or so it jumped friday after Carly accounced the HP iPod Photo?
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    listen, i can pull out a dozen exampleso f single product announcements that have jumped the stock too. I am stating historically that a conference which introduces several new things has less of an impact that a single product announcement on the stock itself. People find it easier to judge one thing than many, liek for instance the addition of the music store caused more of a gain than the first day the G5's were released.
  5. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    While I do not trade yet, I have done some reading and one common thing I have read is, "Buy the rumor and sell the news." Typically, this refers to earnings announcements and not to product announcements, but it may work for this situation as well. The rumor sites have whipped us, and some of the mainstream media, into a frenzy and the stock has actually responded somewhat. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock takes a hit on Tuesday no matter what is or isn't announced.