buying bluetooth keyboard/mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cclements07, Dec 10, 2006.

1. cclements07 macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2006

I've recently purchased a macbook pro, which comes w/ bluetooth obviously. I'm also interested in buying a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo that would be compatible. I've checked out a few options, such as the apple keyboard and mouse, but I don't really like the mouse and am not too sure about the keyboard. The logitech versions are very expensive and come with a bluetooth hub, which is not really necessary since it's built into the laptop. I'm also not sure if non-apple keyboards will be compatible with the mac, for instance with the "apple key" and F12 dashboard key. Do you have any info/suggestions for me?

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    I believe most non-apple keyboards will be compatible with the Mac, but you do lose functionality such as volume controls and the eject disc button. I happen to like the feel and look of the Apple BT Keyboard and it gets relatively good battery life, so I haven't tried many others. I would recommend an external (BT) keyboard since keys with longer travel are much better ergonomically than laptop keyboards with short throws (I can't type as fast though). Plus, its a lot easier to buy a new keyboard rather than bring your MBP into Apple when you spill coke all over your desk.

As for a mouse, I can't stand anything made by Apple, or those logitech mice with a gagillion buttons. I reccomend this. Perfect size, and 2AA last six months for me! ;)