Buying cordless phone - need advice on not causing interference.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kavika411, Feb 4, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you for reading this. I am about buy a new cordless phone set. I don't want to cause interference with my current (PowerMac 2.7) airport card, my Linksys wireless router nor whatever upgrade I may hve to get (new Airport Extreme card/unit/?) to work with Apple TV. The reality is I barely ever use the home phone, so quality is not important to me. What is vastly more important is not interfering with wireless computer/Mac stuff. My understanding is that wireless routers and such use the 2.4 frequency but may go to 5.8. Should I just play it safe and get a 900mgh (?) phone.

Thank you for reading this. I know my terminology may have been incorrect. I greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts/advice.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

802.11 b/g/n all use 2.4GHz. They do not go to 5.8 GHz. A 5.8GHz phone is generally recommended to avoid interference with wireless networks.

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

4. OC Lakerfan macrumors newbie

Buy a phone from BestBuy or Costco (good return policy) to figure out if it will interfere or not. IME, only the older phones gave me problems. Most of the newer phones will not interfere with your 2.4ghz network. IMO, don't waste your money on a 5.8ghz phone unless you absolutely need to.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Best Buy charges a 15% restocking fee if the device you are returning has been opened and is not defective. Been through that already.