Buying decision - Powermac G4 or G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lend27, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Lend27 macrumors member

I am looking at both of these. On the one hand I can get the G4 about $400 cheaper than the G5, similarly configured.
    On the other hand, the G5 seems to have a few more bells and whistles, especially the digital audio inputs. I do a fair amount of home studio recording and the digital audio I/O's would be handy.
    Are there any other reasons that I should cough up the extra $400? This would be my first Mac and I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks for your input and advice

Len

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

What are the exact specs of the machines you are looking at?

3. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I had the same problems a month ago before I bought my first mac (actually my second, but it's been years.) Go with the G5. The truth is that they're not similarly configured, and you're getting a lot more bang for your buck out of the G5. For music stuff (which i use it for) it's definitely worth it. Besides, to get the G4 close to the G5, you'll be paying about the same (if not more) price.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

PM g4/g5

there are quite a few threads of this nature...do a little search, you will probably find the info you need...most say go w/ g5 and so do I...bus alone makes it worth it...

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

G5 all the way. The guts are definitely worth the $400.

6. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

I completely agree with masterjedi. I was trying to chose between the G4 PowerMac, 20" iMac and (see my signature). When I changed my mind and decided to go for the cheaper iMac, they had already shipped the G5. Boy am I not sorry!!! Everything working right out of the box and, PROGRAMS OPEN QUICKLY AS IF THEY ARE JUST FOLDERS!

Now I can't stand to use my 500Mhz ibook cuz it's too slow! Don't know how I ever lived like that??!!:p

You sound like you'll get more mileage out of the G5 capabilities than me even, so I'd say go for it without any regrets. Updates to Panther and future OSs will make it even better and perhaps faster, whereas the G4 may not benefit as much from such updates.

my 2 cents...