buying decisions (please advise)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by natness, May 6, 2005.

  1. natness macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 6, 2005
    #1
    I waited. First for the powermac updates, then for the iMac updates. But I still can't make a decision.

    I am looking to buy a desktop. The last computer I bought was a 233 g3 imac, so I'm due. I want something that will allow me to work in After Effects, edit video and I'm dying to play some games. Any of the new computers will scream speed compared to what I'm used to.

    I've already ruled out that beautiful imac; I can't justify spending all that $$ on a pretty box that can't be upgraded, and the squawks about the already outdated video card leave me cold. Plus, I'm serious about doing image processing, and I imagine the dual processors will help with that. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Anyway, here are my questions:
    Should I be considering the dual 1.8? Would it be that much slower than a dual 2.0 for the money? (Money is a big concern.)

    What are the advantages of the pci-X ports on the earlier version of the dual 2.0? I don't understand the pci vs pci-X thing. Is this a reason to buy the earlier version?

    Should I wait until WWDC is over just in case prices drop with the announcement of something fabulous? Is this likely?

    It really is between the dual 1.8 and either version of the 2.0's, as I have limited funds. I don't mind upgrading slowly to a new video card and more ram.

    Thanks in advance,
    natalie
     
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #2
    As you said, you can upgrade the graphics cards later. The 4GB memory cap on the "bottom" G5s is also not likely to be a problem for you. Unless you tend to add cards to your system, the PCI vs PCI-X issue isn't going to trouble you and, even then, few people need PCI-X cards.

    The current dual-2.0 is a nice machine. An older 1.8 won't have the same burner or graphics card - the 9600 is way better than the 5200 Ultra.

    I would wait as long as you feel comfortable (you never know what WWDC might bring June 6), but the current dual-2.0 is a good, capable machine and much less crippled than the previous dual-1.8.
     
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #3
    You should purchase the best than you afford. Getting the new Rev. C Power Mac just makes more sense with the updated specifications. If you can wait a month, it may be worth your while. Just never know what Steve might have to announce.
     
  4. macorama macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2005
    #4
    Alternatively, you could purchase the cheapest option you'll be happy with. You get the best value for money, and you'll be able to afford your next computer sooner, at which point you'll be way ahead on performance too.

    Even better, decrease your computer budget a little, and increase your RAM budget, so you're getting the best out of your machine. Nothing worse than scraping your money together to buy a machine and then starving it of RAM.
     

Share This Page