buying [developer account separate from mac owner]

Discussion in 'App Store Business, Legal and Marketing' started by grandM, Mar 2, 2014.

1. macrumors 6502a

grandM

Is it possible to buy a mac under name X
    and register the Xcode & developer account under name Y on this mac
    or will this cause problems?

2. macrumors 68000

A developer account does not have to be tied to your personal iTunes account or your Mac purchase information.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

so the mac purchase can be on someone 's else name
    but the registration on mine?

4. macrumors 68000

I bought my Macs under my original iTunes account. My original developer account, which is also on the free status, is that account. My paid developer account is a completely different account which allows me to use my iOS devices for development and post software to the iOS App Store. I've even had a customer developer account on this machine.

Now, if you are actually talking about purchasing a Mac under one persons name and want to make sure any purchases like OS X are tied to that machine, I think you'd want to use the purchasers name. I'm not really sure how OS X upgrade would handle that but perhaps with OS X being a free upgrade now, it doesn't matter.

Other Mac App Store software purchases can be loaded on multiple machines via _your_ personal iTunes account. I have software loaded on my Mac at work that I purchased through my personal account. It only took signing into the store with my personal account and downloading the software I wanted to load on that machine. The software still runs on this machine too.

5. macrumors 65816

I've had valid dev accounts on a hackintosh for years, so there is no tie between the purchase (I never purchased a Mac) and the account.

6. macrumors 603

You can have multiple Developer accounts on a Mac, possibly easier to manage using separate User/login accounts on the Mac.